Berwin Leighton Paisner
The world of sport is now a huge business, whether in terms of the investment required to build a successful Premier League football club or the sheer scale, expense and operational logistics involved in delivering a major global sporting event such as the Olympics or World Cup. To operate successfully in the sporting arena you need certainty that your law firm is able to handle the complexity and diversity of the legal issues that are likely to be encountered and will guide you successfully through these challenges.
Seven-time winner of UK law firm of the year in the last decade, over 100 clients across multiple sports have relied on our lawyers to help them grow their business, protect their interests and compete. Clubs, governing bodies, banks and other investors, construction companies and high profile sportsmen have appointed BLP to help them achieve their objectives.
Sport is a core area of focus for our firm. Led by independently-ranked sport specialists, our team consists of market leaders in all aspects of major real estate projects, sport disputes and financing. Complemented by further specialist tax, commercial contracts, intellectual property, equity capital markets, restructuring and insolvency, competition law, advocacy and bribery lawyers, and offices across Europe, Asia and the Middle East, BLP offers a holistic legal solution for your most significant sport business activities. You will find each of us to be personally committed to your commercial and sporting success.
- Infrastructure planning and development: BLP has advised on the redevelopment, relocation and construction of new stadia or related infrastructure, including mixed-use venues in four different sports. We have acted on entire or discrete elements of projects, from inception and planning, to compulsory purchase, construction and opening.
- Strategic infrastructure: In three instances, BLP has advised at governmental or sport governing body level on the strategic planning required to support major events or important national sport infrastructure.
- Receivables financing: A specialist and growing area of finance, which we have advised on in multiple European countries, relates to financing of future cash flows and receivables related to ticket and broadcast revenues and instalments of player transfer payments.
- Sponsorship: Among its broad range of sponsorship work, our commercial team has acted for sponsors in relation to arrangements with sports personalities, plus club shirt and stadia arrangements, and has advised a leading Premiership star on all of his sponsorship and social media activities.
- Finance and restructurings: Our experience extends every complex finance transaction required in sport. Just some examples include club acquisition finance, complex financial restructurings and insolvency advice, loan sales, securing regeneration grants, state aid and the public market listing of a sport business.
- Resolving sport disputes: We have protected the interests of sport clients across a diverse range of disputes, including enforcing terms of financing relating to player transfers, recovery of unpaid fees, third-party rights in players, player injury insurance claims, planning permission appeals, phone hacking, social media management (including twitter) and rights to player anonymity.
- Street: Adelaide House, London Bridge
- Postcode: EC4R 9HA
- City: London
- Country: Belgium, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Russian Federation, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom
- Tel: 020 3400 1000