Could Liverpool sack Suarez?
The World Cup in Brazil has currently been overshadowed by his actions. Whilst recent talk has centred on the effect of his ban on a proposed transfer away from his employer club, Liverpool, a more interesting question is whether Liverpool even has to sell Suarez in order to recoup his market value?
The contractual position
Conduct for Uruguay rather than Liverpool
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Brazil | Employment Law | FIFA | FIFA Disciplinary Code | FIFA Disciplinary Committee | Football | Sponsorship | World Cup
- The infamous Suarez bite: a criminal law matter?
- Suarez bite: the real impact
- Luis Suarez - Rebel without a clause
- How can Suarez legally defend against a ban from football for his World Cup “bite”?
John Mehrzad QC was appointed Silk after only 13 years’ practice – the fastest appointee in the 2019 competition. With a background in employment law and commercial law, his sports law at Littleton Chambers, London, practice focuses, on the one hand, on financial disputes between clubs, managers, players, intermediaries, associations and commercial partners – usually before FA, PL or EFL arbitrations, or before FIFA or the CAS.