Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI)
Regulation and Litigation
3+ Years PQE
1st January 2020
Formed in 1921, the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) is the governing body for all international events in Jumping, Dressage and Para Dressage, Eventing, Driving and Para Driving, Endurance, Vaulting and Reining. It establishes the regulations and approves equestrian programmes for Championships, Continental and Regional Games as well as the Olympic & Paralympic Games.
FEI promotes equestrianism in all its forms and encourages the development of the FEI equestrian disciplines throughout the world, keeping the welfare of the horse at the heart of all activities.
Today, the FEI has 134 members of National Federations and there are over 4,500 international events annually, including a number of FEI Championships and global FEI series. Over 120,000 athletes and horses are registered and women and men compete as equals.
Over 95 FEI staff are working in FEI’s Headquarters in Lausanne, ensuring the sport continues to grow and flourish, the rules are enforced, the results are processed, the international calendar is managed, and that the very values that are at the core of equestrian sport are safeguarded and promoted.
Purpose of the Role
The FEI is looking for a full-time Legal Counsel. The position is based in Lausanne and is available as of 1 January 2020.
Reporting directly to the Legal Director, the ideal candidate will manage the prosecution of equine and human anti-doping cases, horse abuse cases, harassment and abuse cases, as well as any other types of cases decided by the FEI Tribunal and/or the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
- Investigation of positive medication and doping cases (with the Veterinary Department and/or the Equestrian Community Integrity Unit (ECIU) as well as any other types of cases decided by the FEI Tribunal;
- Drafting written submissions to the FEI Tribunal and CAS;
- Prosecuting cases (including experience in safeguarding and/or criminal matters), where required, leading the hearings on behalf of the FEI;
- Ensuring the prosecution of all cases in accordance with FEI’s regulations and in conformity with a fair and equitable process;
- Representation of the FEI if and as required before the CAS and/or other courts;
- Attending FEI Tribunal meetings;
- Reviewing reports with respect to offences committed during FEI events;
- Follow up in cases of violations, such as suspensions for two Yellow Warning Cards etc.;
- Attending and presenting at meetings of FEI stakeholder groups;
- Provide general support within the FEI Legal Department;
- Advising on and drafting FEI Rules and Regulations, in particular the FEI AntiDoping Rules (Human and Equine); and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor/(Master) degree in Law;
- Fluent in English (English mother tongue preferable), fluency in French or any other languages is a plus;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience as a qualified lawyer in the required core areas;
- Strong litigation experience. Experience in proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport is a plus;
- Excellent command of MS Office;
- Experience of sport law is a plus; experience of anti-doping procedures would be a particular advantage;
- Excellent drafting and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, communication and relationship-building skills; and
- Team player who is self-motivated, responsible and can work autonomously.
You will be working in first class facilities, downtown Lausanne, accessible from public transportation within minutes from Lac Léman. We will be happy to present you other benefits we offer.
If you meet the position requirements, We want you! We are a dynamic Sports Federation and we would gladly receive your application.