How State aid rules are being applied to European football: Part 2 – the availability of exemptions
Published 07 July 2014 By: Richard Craven
Objectives of common interest
Football clubs in financial difficulty
Regardless of the eventual outcome, the football investigations themselves may have served an essential function, dispelling any notion that “sport” provides blanket cover for government assistance in this financially significant and international sector. The publicity generated has clearly put the application of State aid law in football on the map, and, thus, the investigations may well represent a tipping point, acting as the necessary trigger for further funding reform in football. Sports organisations, particularly football clubs, should be reviewing the legitimacy of dealings with government. If business continues as usual, the Commission must be expected to take the necessary enforcement steps.
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: European Commission | Financial Fair Play | Football | Holland | Hungary | Spain | State Aid Law | Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union | UEFA Club Licensing
- How State aid rules are being applied to European football: Part 1 – examples of the Commission’s approach
- How State aid rules are being applied to European football: Part 3 – case study of France and UEFA Euro 2016
- The financial life cycle of a professional footballer - Planning for retirement
- The financial life cycle of a professional footballer - The early years