Weightlifting Men’s 69 kg : Izzat Artykov (Bronze Medallist) disqualified and excluded from the Olympic Games following positive doping test
18 August 2016 – Following a request from the IOC Medical and Scientific Commission Games Group, the Anti-doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS ADD) at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games issued the following decision today:
Izzat Artykov (Kyrgyzstan, weightlifting 69kg, ranked 3rd), positive test with strychnine; final award; the athlete is disqualified from the men’s 69 kg weightlifting competition, his medal is forfeited and he is excluded from the Olympic Games Rio 2016; his accreditation shall be withdrawn; the responsibility for the athlete’s results management in terms of sanction beyond the Olympic Games Rio 2016 is referred to the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF). The amendment of the official ranking of the men’s 69 kg weightlifting competition and the reallocation of the bronze medal is of the responsibility of the IWF and IOC.
For the first time in the history of the Olympic Games, the CAS is in charge of doping-related matters arising on the occasion of the Games as a first-instance authority. This new structure handles doping cases referred to it in accordance with the IOC Anti-doping Rules. The CAS ADD adjudicates on these cases after hearing the parties concerned. It may also impose provisional suspensions pending the conclusion of the procedure. Final decisions rendered by the CAS ADD may be appealed before the CAS ad hoc Division in Rio or before the CAS in Lausanne after the end of the Olympic Games.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | Court of Arbitration for Sport Ad Hoc Division (CAS AHD) | International Olympic Committee (IOC) | International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) | Olympic | Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro 2016 | Paralympic
- CAS dismisses the appeal filed by Alex Schwazer (Italy) and imposes an 8-year period of ineligibility on him
- CAS Rio - The appeal of Anastasia Karabelshikova and Ivan Podshivalov is partially upheld by CAS
- CAS Rio - The appeal of Yulia Efimova is partially upheld by CAS
- CAS Ad Hoc Division Rio 2016: 21 cases registered – status as of 5 August 2016