Sports Agents Professional Certificate Programme - Loughborough University
Loughborough University's new Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents is designed to meet the need for a comprehensive industry qualification that covers sports law, governance and business practices - drawing on Loughborough's unique connections to the world of sport.
This unique 10-week programme – endorsed by the UK Association of Football Agents – is ideal for registered sports agents and anyone wishing to move into this sector.
It will provide you with the breadth of knowledge and capabilities required to operate lawfully – and in a principled manner – within the player and transfer markets.
Combining lectures and seminars, the programme makes use of practical activities and discussions to support and embed learning.
The broad course content and wide-ranging expertise of our programme team makes Loughborough University's Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents suitable for agents (or aspiring agents) working across sports.
The 10-week programme will be delivered at Loughborough London campus on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London, on Thursday evenings at 6:30-9:00pm, commencing on 4th October 2018.
Each evening will begin with a tutor-led theory session followed by hands-on case study activities.
The course will focus on the three core pillars of the agency profession and market:
- Regulatory frameworks - You will study the legal frameworks governing agents in different sports and how to comply with them.
- Contemporary legal issues - You will explore a range of issues – including player representation, dealing with minors, financial crime and corruption, betting and match-fixing – and how to deal with them.
- Business practices - You will investigate the practicalities of being an agent including transfer negotiations, approaching clubs, and expanding your network.
The programme is taught over 10 weeks, covering the following topics:
- Week 1: Becoming an Agent - Regulations and Registration as an Agent
- Week 2: Understanding Contracts – Representation Contracts (Players/Athletes and Clubs contracts)
- Week 3: Understanding Contracts – Employment and Commercial Contracts (Endorsements and Image Rights)
- Week 4: Complying with the Regulations – Representing Minors
- Week 5: Complying with the Regulations – Third Party Ownership (TPO)
- Week 6: Complying with the Regulations – Corruption and Match-fixing
- Week 7: Resolving Disputes – Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
- Week 8: Being an agent - How Transfers Work?
- Week 9: Being an agent - Managing Players/Athletes and Parents
- Week 10: Being an Agent – How to Grow Your Business
The benefits of completing this programme
Ideal for existing registered and prospective sports agents, the programme will help you to:
- transition into the agency market
- gain a holistic understanding of being an agent
- develop and improve your understanding of the regulations applicable to you
- advance your professional skills
There are no formal academic prerequisites for the programme, however some business experience and numerical proficiency are recommended.
Known for our outstanding contribution to the world of sport for over 60 years, Loughborough University's unique sporting environment brings together exceptional athletes, facilities, coaching and research expertise with extensive partnerships with major sports organisations. As a student on the Professional Certicate Programme for Sports Agents you will benefit directly from the expertise and sports industry connections that only Loughborough can offer.
The programme team is composed of some of the most experienced and prominent legal practitioners and serving professionals within the sport industry alongside the academic team of Loughborough University.
- Dr Serhat Yilmaz (Programme Director) - Serhat is a Lecturer in Sports Law in the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences (SSEHS) at Loughborough University and an expert on contemporary legal issues in the field of football, particularly in relation to the regulation of intermediaries and the protection of minors. Read more.
- Dr Argyro Elisavet Manoli - A lecturer in Sports Marketing and Communications at Loughborough University who has worked in the football industry for clubs such as AEK Athens FC and Middlesbrough FC. Read more.
- William McAuliffe (Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler) - A senior associate in Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler in Geneva practicing principally in the area of sports arbitration. William appears regularly as counsel before the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne. Read more.
To kick-start your career as a sport agent or take your professional skills to the next level, please register your interest by completing and submitting the online form.
No payment is required until you have been accepted on to the programme.
The cost of the course includes 10 modules studied over 10 weeks at Loughborough University London.
Full Price: £1,500
AFA Members: £1,200
Loughborough University Alumni: £1,200
To apply, please see here.
Dr Serhat Yilmaz - Programme Director
T: +44 (0) 1509 228 163
Manisha Patel - Programme Support Administrator
T: +44 (0) 1509 226 418
- Street: Epinal Way
- Postcode: LE11 3TU
- City: Loughborough
- State: Leicestershire
- Country: United Kingdom
- Telephone: +44 (0) 1509 228 163