The FIFA World Cup Inquiry: A landmark learning day for sports governance?
Published 14 November 2014 By: Kevin Carpenter
In terms of sports governance, the 13 November 2014 was certainly a day to remember. The media became ablaze with widespread condemnation by various stakeholders in sport of FIFA’s Summary1 (references to specific paragraphs in brackets) of the report of the enquiry into the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup Bidding Process prepared by the Investigatory Chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee (‘FEC’), led by the Investigatory Chamber’s Chairman Michael J. Garcia.
Get access to this article and all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport
Already a member?
Articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission is granted to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: Anti-Corruption | FIFA | FIFA Appeal Committee | FIFA Code of Ethics | FiFA Ethics Committee | Football | Governance | Regulation
- Can FIFA legally publish the Garcia corruption report?
- FIFA Ethics Committee’s legal role in the investigation into the World Cup voting allegations
- FIFA, FIFPro and INTERPOL launch joint campaign to fight match manipulation
- Five top tips to help understand the FIFA Appeal Committee and its procedures
Kevin is a advisor and member of the editorial board for LawInSport, having previously acted as editor. In his day-to-day work he has two roles: as the Principal for his own consultancy business Captivate Legal & Sports Solutions, and Special Counsel for Sports Integrity at leading global sports technology and data company Genius Sports.