Working in an esports giant - Andrew Cooke, General Counsel, Fnatic E89
Published 08 February 2020 By: Sean Cottrell
Our special guest today is Andrew Cooke, General Counsel at the Global esports Brand, Fnatic. H e is the former General Counsel and Head of Strategy for Flash Entertainment in Abu Dhabi where he supported in delivering live events to more than 8 million people, from sponsorship activations through to global football tournaments.
In this interview Andrew discusses the history of Fnatic, the exciting partnership with UNICEF, managing risk in a fast growth business in the esports sector, duty of care in esports, esports media rights, the role of in-house lawyers and lawyers having meaningful purposes in their work. Andrew has a genuine passion about learning and development for lawyers as you will tell from the interview.
* History of Fnatic
* UNICEF partnership and how it may evolve
* Managing risk of a fast growth business in the esports
* Fnatic teams and competitions played in
* Evolving duty of care in eSports
* Comparison between experience in music & sport events to esports
* Managing online culture and toxicity in the gaming
* eSports Players understanding their value
* Different esports competitions and structures
* Intellectual property rights and players increased awareness of players commercial value of rights
* Different way rights get negotiated in sport compared to music and where esports is at.
* Media rights in esports compared to football
* Selecting external advisors and the role of in-house lawyers.
* The role of general counsels.
* Finding your purpose - where do you fit in the legal profession
* Law firms understanding their value
We thoroughly enjoyed the interview and took a lot away from it. We hope you do the same.
The host is Sean Cottrell (@spcott), founder and CEO of LawInSport.
For more sports law news, commentary and analysis go to LawInSport.com https://www.lawinsport.com/
Upcoming Events: https://www.lawinsport.com/sports-law-events
LawInSport Recruitment: https://www.lawinsport.com/jobs
LawInSport Annual Conference: https://www.lawinsport.com/annual-conference
LawInSport Academy Mentoring Scheme: https://www.lawinsport.com/announcements
Follow us on Twitter @LawInSport and Sean at @spcott.
Listen to podcast on:
Most Android podcast apps.
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission is granted to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Gareth Farrelly - Lawyer, Arbitrator and Former Pro Football Player Episode 88
- Lord Dyson, one of the leading lawyers of his generation, shares his perspective on sports law - E87