The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is pleased to launch a call for proposals for its 2022 Social Science Research Grant Program (Grant Program); regarding which, we kindly ask Expressions of Interest (to be submitted via the Agency’s WADAGrants platform, by:
- 22 November 2021 (23:59 GMT) for Tier 1 and 2 projects; and
- 31 January 2022 (23:59 GMT) for smaller Tier 3 projects.
As part of WADA’s 2020-2024 Social Science Research Strategy – which aims to support WADA’s 2020-2024 Strategic Plan by focusing on impactful research – WADA’s Education Committee oversees the Agency’s Social Science Research for anti-doping, including the work undertaken by WADA’s Social Science Research Expert Advisory Group. The Social Science Research Grant Program was restructured last year following a review by WADA.
While a full overview of the restructured Grant Program is available in the Overview and Guidance for Applicants document, the key changes are as follows:
- There are now three tiers of funding, which are defined by the scale and scope of the research project. Projects in Tier 1 and 2 are subject to a two-stage application process as outlined below, while smaller projects in Tier 3 need only submit a full application.
- There is now a two-stage application process for larger research projects in Tier 1 and 2, which allows for an initial Expression of Interest form to be submitted for consideration and review before a project is approved to progress to the full application stage.
- There are defined research priorities that are of interest to WADA.
WADA welcomes Expressions of Interest in relation to any of the following 12 Social Science Research priorities for the 2022 Grant Program. These priorities were approved by WADA’s Education Committee and are fully described within the Overview and Guidance for Applicants document.
- Athlete pathway and athlete experience
- Experience of athlete support personnel in anti-doping
- Non-sport influences
- Sport Policy
- Prevention model
- Effectiveness of anti-doping
- Horizon scanning (learnings from other sectors/industries that can be applied to Clean Sport)
- Evolution of sport practices
- Anti-doping policy impact
- People investment
- The role and influence of athlete support personnel
- Clean Sport behaviors
The Education Committee will review the recommendations from the Social Science Research Expert Advisory Group for WADA-funded research projects in April 2022, prior to seeking formal approval from WADA’s Executive Committee (ExCo) in May 2022; after which, applicants will be notified.
In order to assist applicants, in addition to the Overview and Guidance for Applicants document, WADA has also published four short videos on how to apply for the grants, the structure of the WADA Social Science research Grant Program, and subjects the Agency is interested in funding. Furthermore, in November, WADA’s Education Department will host a webinar series to support applicants from the traditionally underfunded regions of Africa, Asia and Latin America. WADA will communicate more details in the coming weeks regarding its November webinar schedule.
WADA’s 2021 Social Science Research Grant Program
As it relates to WADA’s 2021 Social Science Research Grant Program, as announced on 9 September 2021, in May 2021, WADA’s ExCo approved 18 projects out of 62 full applications received, for a total of USD 475,000. This funding will cover research projects in 14 countries, across five continents. This is the highest number of projects ever to be funded by WADA in an annual cycle of the Program; the most countries that will receive funding; and, the largest total sum of money awarded.
The original article can be found here.