Behind the scenes of the UK's Sports Betting Group: an interview with Emma Boggis and Leigh Thompson - Episode 40
In this podcast, Emma Boggis (@emmaboggis), Chief Executive at Sport and Recreation Alliance, and Leigh Thompson (@Leigh_DT) , Policy Manager at Sport and Recreation Alliance, discuss the work of the UK's Sports Betting Group and how this fits into sports governance in the UK and across Europe.
Emma and Leigh explain their roles at the Sport and Recreation Alliance, then move on to address the following questions:
- What initiated the formation of the Sports Betting Group and what was the catalyst for that?
- What is the purpose of the revised Code of Practice?
- Who is involved with the Sports Betting Group?
- How does the Sports Betting Group fit in with the Sports Betting Integrity Action Plan?
- How does the Sports Betting Group fit into the wider international landscape of combating sports betting manipulation?
- What challenges do the differing approaches to sports betting internationally cause?
- How important is good governance in protecting the integrity of sport?
Emma and Leigh conclude their interview by looking at the future of the Sport and Recreation Alliance over the next 12 months, addressing what the Sport and Recreation Alliance will be involved with, and from a policy perspective and interaction with stakeholders, what the Sport and Recreation Alliance will be focusing on going forward.
For further reading, here is a link to Leigh's article on the Sports Betting Integrity Action Plan: https://www.lawinsport.com/articles/item/how-to-protect-the-integrity-of-sport-key-points-from-the-sport-and-sports-betting-integrity-action-plan
- Anti-Corruption Football Governance Horseracing Integrity Regulation Rugby Snooker Sport and Recreation Alliance Sports Betting Group (SBG) Sports Betting Group Code of Practice Tennis United Kingdom (UK)