Kelly is a senior junior who specialises in commercial and construction law disputes with a particular emphasis on contractual, civil fraud and urgent injunctive relief cases (including search orders, freezing injunctions and injunctions to restrain breaches of confidence, fiduciary duty and restrictive covenants). She has been recommended by Chambers & Partners in these fields in the North since 2004 and 2012 respectively. She has appeared at all levels, including the House of Lords (Cream v Banerjee  UKHL 44), and has been instructed on many heavyweight, complex and high value cases. She enjoys a successful practice and has an excellent market standing.
In addition, Kelly specialises in business rates disputes with a particular emphasis on high value rates mitigation scheme cases. She has advised and represented many councils in relation to such matters including Trafford, Preston, Lancaster, Bolton, Basildon, Cardiff and Stockton. She is currently representing Trafford Borough Council in proceedings against Principled Offsite Logistics Ltd on 61 consolidated summonses where the sums directly and indirectly at stake are in excess of £1 million. She has also been instructed by numerous councils wishing to resist claims for substantial refunds following retrospective alterations to the VOA lists.
Her areas of practice include:
- agency & commercial agency
- banking & finance
- breach of fiduciary duty/confidence/restrictive covenants & injunctions restraining the same (including springboard/team move injunctions)
- civil fraud and asset preservation/recovery (including freezing injunctions & search orders)
- construction (commercial/higher value domestic, litigation/arbitration/adjudication)
- credit & suretyship (including higher value consumer credit)
- general business contract disputes
- non-domestic business rates
- sale/carriage of goods (international & domestic)
- share purchase/business purchase/shareholder agreement disputes
- supply of goods and services
- professional negligence (building professionals/accountants/solicitors)
Year of Call: 1994