Alexander Engelhard is a dispute resolution and commercial lawyer advocating before state courts and arbitral tribunals, especially in the sport, media and entertainment industry. He also acts as arbitrator and mediator. In addition, he advises clients on the drafting of contracts, rules and regulations.
He is a member of various arbitration and sports law-related organisations. He is also a lecturer at the University of Frankfurt for German and international arbitration, as well as on dispute resolution in national and international sport.
JUVE Handbook 2018/2019: highly recommended lawyer for dispute resolution.
- Counsel/ad-hoc clerk in more than 80 national and international arbitrations, e.g. before the ICC Court of Arbitration, German Institution of Arbitration (DIS/DIS-Sport), Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Basketball Arbitral Tribunal (BAT), and others.
- Counsel in disciplinary and financial disputes before judicial organs of sport governing bodies, incl. FIFA DRC, FIFA PSC, FIFA Ethics Committee, UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body, UEFA Appeals Body.
- In 2020, serving as arbitrator in high-stakes arbitration between a professional football club and the German Football Association (DFB) over the continuation of the league during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Member of the Sport Resolutions' Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators.
- Acting legal advisor of the EuroLeague Players Association (ELPA).
- Advised international and national governing bodies (incl. IOC, FIBA, FIVB, ISSF, AFFA, CPB) as well as sports clubs (e.g. from the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, Turkish Süper Lig, Greek Super League) on regulatory, labour and financial issues.
- Counsel for national and international athletes, coaches and agents