Athletics: The application filed by Darya Klishina (Russia) is upheld by the CAS
15 August 2016 – The ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 has rendered its decision in the case of the Russian athlete Darya Klishina (“the Athlete”) (long jump) against the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The Athlete challenged the decision rendered by the IAAF Doping Review Board (IAAF DRB) on 12 August 2016, which revoked its previous decision declaring her exceptionally eligible to compete in international competitions, including the athletics competition at the Olympic Games 2016. Such decision, declaring her ineligible to compete, was based on new factual elements concerning the Athlete presented by Prof. Richard McLaren in addition to his report delivered on 18 July 2016.
On that basis, the IAAF DRB determined that the Athlete was directly affected and tainted by Stateorganized doping scheme described in the McLaren Report. Furthermore, the IAAF DRB noted that the results management in respect of certain of the Athlete’s samples has been subject to tampering and manipulation during the “relevant period” (i.e. starting on 1 January 2014).
The CAS Panel in charge of this matter heard the parties and their representatives today between 11am and 3pm. At 1:00am today, the parties were informed that the application was upheld and that the Athlete remained eligible to compete in the Olympic Games in Rio. The CAS Panel applied the IAAF Competition Rules to conclude that the previous decision of the IAAF DRB, that the Athlete complied with the relevant criteria because of her permanent residence outside Russia, still applied despite the additional information provided by Prof. McLaren. Relevantly, the Athlete established that she was subject to fully compliant drug-testing in- and out-of-competition outside of Russia for the “relevant period”.
The full award with the grounds will be published on the CAS website as soon as it will be available.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Athletics | Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | IAAF | Olympic | Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro 2016 | Paralympic | Russia
- The athletes, Kleber Da Silva Ramos (Brazil, cycling road race) and Xinyi Chen (China, swimming) disqualified from the Olympic Games following positive doping test
- Weightlifting Men’s 69 kg : Izzat Artykov (Bronze Medallist) disqualified and excluded from the Olympic Games following positive doping test
- Wrestling (FS 74kg): Narsingh Yadav suspended 4 years following successful appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency
- CAS Rio - The appeal of Anastasia Karabelshikova and Ivan Podshivalov is partially upheld by CAS