The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) confirms the transfer ban imposed on Club Atlético de Madrid for breaches of the FIFA rules regarding the transfer of minors
1 June 2017
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has issued its decision in the arbitration procedure between Club Atlético de Madrid SAD and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) regarding the decision rendered by the FIFA Appeal Committee (FIFA AC) dated 8 April 2016 in which the Spanish club was sanctioned for breaches of the FIFA regulations concerning the registration of minor players. The CAS Panel has confirmed the FIFA AC decision with the exception of the fine of CHF 900,000 which has been reduced to CHF 550,000. As a consequence, Club Atlético de Madrid SAD remains banned from registering players both nationally and internationally for two complete and consecutive transfer periods.
In September 2016, Club Atlético de Madrid SAD filed an appeal at the CAS against the FIFA AC decision. The Spanish club sought the annulment of the FIFA AC decision and a finding that no sanctions should be imposed on the club.
The arbitration was referred to a panel of CAS arbitrators: Mr Efraim Barak, Israel, (President), Mr Romano F. Subiotto, Belgium/UK, and Prof. Ulrich Haas, Germany. A hearing was held at the CAS headquarters on 24 April 2017.
The Panel found that not all of the alleged violations of the FIFA regulations concerning the registration of minor players could be upheld, which justified a reduction of the fine from CHF 900,000 to CHF 550,000 but not of the transfer ban imposed on the club by FIFA.
- Tags: Club Atlético de Madrid | Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | Dispute Resolution | FIFA | FIFA Appeal Committee | FIFA Regulations | Player Transfers | Spain
- Amendments to the registration period of minors in football - interview with Christian Keidel - Episode 45
- CAS overrules FIFA and allows registration of minor Nikolas Nartey on appeal by the German Football Federation (DFB) and 1. FC Köln
- Initial thoughts on Real Madrid’s transfer ban being partially upheld by CAS
- Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) reduces the sanctions imposed on Real Madrid CF for breaches of the FIFA rules regarding the transfer of minors