Wrestling (FS 74kg): Narsingh Yadav suspended 4 years following successful appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency
published on 19 August 2016
18 August 2016 – The ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 has rendered its decision in the arbitration between the World Anti-doping Agency (WADA), the Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav and the National Anti-doping Agency of India (NADA).
WADA filed an urgent application before the CAS ad hoc Division to challenge the decision of NADA India to exonerate Narsingh Yadav following two positive anti-doping tests with methandienone on 25 June and 5 July 2016. The athlete asserted that he was the victim of sabotage (food/drink tampering) by another person. WADA requested that a 4-year period of ineligibility be imposed on the athlete.
The CAS Panel in charge of this matter heard the parties and their representatives today between 13:00 and 17:00. At 18:45 today, the parties were informed that the application was upheld, that Narsingh Yadav was sanctioned with a four-year ineligibility period starting today and that any period of provisional suspension or ineligibility effectively served by the athlete before the entry into force of this award shall be credited against the total period of ineligibility to be served. Furthermore, all competitive results obtained by Narsingh Yadav from and including 25 June 2016 shall be disqualified, with all resulting consequences (including forfeiture of medals, points and prizes).
The CAS Panel did not accept the argument of the athlete that he was the victim of sabotage and noted that there was no evidence that he bore no fault, nor that the anti-doping rule violation was not intentional. Therefore the standard 4-year period of ineligibility was imposed by the Panel.
The full award with the grounds will be published on the CAS website as soon as it will be available.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | India | Olympic | Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro 2016 | Paralympic | World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) | Wrestling
- CAS dismisses the appeal filed by Alex Schwazer (Italy) and imposes an 8-year period of ineligibility on him
- CAS Rio - The appeal of Anastasia Karabelshikova and Ivan Podshivalov is partially upheld by CAS
- CAS Rio - The appeal of Yulia Efimova is partially upheld by CAS
- CAS Ad Hoc Division Rio 2016: 21 cases registered – status as of 5 August 2016