The art of million dollar sports media rights deals: An interview with Bobby Hacker
Published 26 July 2017 | Authored by: Sean Cottrell
In this podcast, Bobby Hacker, former VP Business and Legal Affairs at FOX Sports speaks to Sean Cottrell, LawInSport's CEO, about his views on the media rights market, the interplay between social media and online streaming platforms with broadcasters, and his journey into sports law, specifically media rights. Bobby also provides an inside look into his own career.
Bobby provides his unique viewpoint on the necessity to never portray doubt when approaching deals, the significance of teamwork, the importance of humility, and the value of maintaining perspective throughout one's career.
Bobby specifically addresses the following:
- His thoughts on the media rights market at the moment and the trends he is seeing
- The role of live streaming platforms such as Amazon and their interplay with broadcasters - are they partners or a threat to broadcasters?
- His journey into sports media rights
- The biggest highlight of his career thus far
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: American Football | Boxing | Broadcasting | Career Advice | Commercial | Football | FOX Sports | Media Rights | Motorsport | Rugby | Sky Sports | Social Media | United Kingdom (UK) | United States of America (USA)
- An interview with Alex Slade, Head of Legal, Sport at BT
- The 4 key issues facing sports media rights lawyers in 2017: From Head Counsel, Sky Sports
- How the Bundesliga’s new “no single buyer” rule has increased the broadcasting revenue for German football
- Current trends in the acquisition of sports rights: multi-territory bidding and new technology