Al Nasr (UAE) and Wanderley found guilty of using faked documents
11 November 2016 - The AFC Disciplinary Committee at its meeting on Wednesday made its decision in the case of the Al Nasr (UAE) player Santos Monteiro Junior Wanderley.
Wanderley and Al Nasr (UAE) admitted to the use of a forged or falsified document to deceive the AFC in legal relations, a violation of Article 62 of the AFC Disciplinary Code. The relevant document was an Indonesian passport in the name of Wanderley, which the Committee found in September to have been forged or falsified.
The Committee issued the following sanctions:
- three-month match suspension
- USD10,000 fine
Al Nasr (UAE)
- USD50,000 fine
- return of all prize money earned in ACL 2016 (USD340,000)
- exclusion from ACL 2018 (suspended for probationary period of two years)
The decision on sanction was made after assessing the degree of culpability of the parties.
The Committee concluded that Al Nasr (UAE) bore the majority of the fault for the violation, having deliberately obtained an Indonesian passport for the purpose of circumventing the '3+1' rule, and that its employees were not truthful in their collaboration with the AFC. In making its decision, the Committee noted that Al Nasr (UAE) had not qualified on sporting merit for the AFC Champions League 2017.
The Committee also found that Wanderley was at fault for agreeing to be registered as Indonesian but not being an Indonesian national. His match suspension is backdated and commences from the date of his provisional suspension (September 2, 2016).
The full list of the Committee decisions is available here.
All relevant Member Associations have been notified of the decisions.
- Tags: AFC Champions League | AFC Disciplinary Code | AFC Disciplinary Committee | Asian Football Confederation (AFC) | Disciplinary | Football | Indonesia
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) provisionally suspends four Laos players for alleged match manipulation
- Latest AFC Disciplinary Committee decisions published
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Referees Committee agrees to additional assistant referees
- Al Nasr (UAE) player provisionally suspended for alleged fake passport