How the Premier League gives back to the community
In this series of feature blogs, the Sports Business Group at Deloitte offer their views on some key activities in the Premier League and the global football markets. This second blog examines how the Premier League assists local communities; and the need for it to retain a robust governance structure to oversee the process.
Engaging locally, inspiring globally
An often unheralded aspect of Premier League clubs is the off-pitch impact they make within their local communities. Supported by the Premier League, clubs (or the charity associated with a club) are more often than not at the heart of their communities; forging effective partnerships that support the delivery of a wide range of activities, including for the most vulnerable people in society.
The work of clubs in their communities tends to focus on three main areas:
- Investing in facilities and grassroots – from providing playing kit for school teams, to state-of-the-art changing facilities and 3G artificial grass pitches in high need areas, where the community will benefit the most.
- Inspiring sports participation – funding a range of football and other sports participation programmes, designed to encourage people to get active and develop a sporting habit for life.
- Supporting education and skills – using the popularity of the professional game to motivate young people to maximise their potential, and providing them with educational opportunities.
To put this into figures,1 in 2014/15:
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Charity | Community | England and Wales | Football | Football Foundation | Premier League | United Kingdom (UK)
- Grassroots sport: A guide to registering as a charity or a community amateur sports club
- Interview with Katherine Grainger and Vijay Parbat on their work with International Inspiration - Episode 32
- 7 key tax law issues affecting sports today
- How the Premier League is conquering global markets