Press release - 14/02/2023
Earlier this year, LawInSport launched the first edition of their Football Law In Practice (FLIP) 8 week online course, to support lawyers, executives, sports administrators, agents, players and coaches, who want to Improve their understanding of how governance, regulation and the law impacts football in practice.
The Second Edition Of The FLIP Course Starts Today
The purpose of the FLIP online course is to provide people working in football, be it lawyers, agents, executives, administrators, players and coaches, with a deeper understanding about how football is governed, legally protected, and regulated, as well as how these factors practically impact the business of football. This is achieved through leading football lawyers and executives explaining and providing you with practical insights into the important governance, legal and regulatory issues in football.
Football clubs, member associations and professional services firms have enrolled their employees on the course including: City Football Group, Millwall FC, Blackpool FC, Wycombe Wanderers FC, Football Association of Ireland, Albanian Football Association, Football NSW (New South Wales), Harbottle & Lewis, 39 Essex Chambers, Shoosmiths, Walker Morris, RPC, Stewarts and PwC.
Additionally, a number of former and current professional players have taken the opportunity to undertake the course free of charge to help players become better equipped to navigate the business of football during and post their playing career.
What Are Students Saying About The Course?
“It provided an amazing insight into the world of football beyond my experience of it on the pitch. It also gave me an appreciation and deeper understanding as to how the important issues in the game are regulated, disputed and resolved. I highly recommend this course to any ex or current players that are wishing to learn more about the key off-field issues that are so influential in not only a player’s career, but also to the sport more generally.” Harrison Dunk, Professional Football Player at Cambridge United Football Club
“I’d definitely recommend this course to anyone new to the area as it gives a really concise and useful overview of current issues in football law and the speakers' insights are great because they’re at the forefront of what’s happening.” Harriotte Underwood, Solicitor at Adams & Remers
“Amazing course with informative content and engaging teaching.” Dan Woodfine
“I found the course really useful, particularly the live Q&A sessions as it was great to interact with a very high-profile panel. I would thoroughly recommend this to individuals who are starting out in their careers in sports law.” Sam Georgivic, Associate (Sport, Media and Entertainment) at Harbottle & Lewis
Our lecturers are all leading lawyers who have extensive experience working in football and sports law including:
- Achta Mahamat Saleh, Former Director of Legal Affairs & Compliance, Confederation of African Football.
- Álvaro Gómez de la Vega Jiménez, Legal Manager, RCD Espanyol de Barcelona
- Andrew Mercer, General Counsel & Director of Legal Affairs, Asian Football Confederation
- Beth French, Legal Counsel, FIFA
- Carlos Schneider, Director of the Secretariat of the Judicial Bodies, FIFA. Formerly Legal Counsel with UEFA.
- Chris Anderson, Experience Football Lawyer and Former Head of the Football Governance Review with The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sports (DCMS)
- Ciaran Fitzgerald-Morgan, Legal Counsel, TEAM Marketing
- Daniel Geey, Partner, Sheridans. Author of “Done Deal: An Insider's Guide to Football Contracts, Multi-Million Pound Transfers and Premier League Big Business”.
- Dr. Despina Mavromati, Attorney-at-law, BianchiSchwald & Lecturer, University of Lausanne
- Ian Smith, Former Director, Commercial & Operational Legal, FIFA.
- Jaime Cambreleng Contreras, Partner at Cavaliero & Associates and Former Head of Litigation at FIFA.
- James Kitching, Consultant & Managing Director, The FC Sports. Former Director of Football Regulatory at FIFA.
- Jane Purdon, Director, Women in Football and Chair, Professional Game Academy Audit Company. Former Head of Governance and Leadership at UK Sport, and Director of Governance at The Premier League.
- Jonathan Brown, Senior Managing Director, Ankura, specialising in Risk, Forensics & Compliance.
- Josep Francesc Vandellos Alamilla, Founder/Partner, Vandellos Sports Law.
- Kelly Skeggs, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, OmniSports.
- Liz Coley, Partner, LEVEL & Former Club Secretary at Sunderland FC, West Ham United FC & Southampton FC
- Kieran Maguire, Football finance lecturer, Price Of Football Podcast presenter and author.
- Kim Mundy, Head of Safeguarding & Governance, Southampton FC
- Liam Thorpe, Head of Legal, Red Bull Media House
- Loic Alves, Legal Counsel, FIFPRO
- Luís Villas-Boas Pires, Head of Agents, FIFA
- Mario Flores Chemor, Head of Sports Legal, European Club Association (ECA)
- Mario Tenore, Of counsel, Pirola Pennuto Zei & Associati
- Mark Hovell, Head of Sport, Mills & Reeve & CAS Arbitrator
- Massimo Coccia, Founding Partner, Coccia De Angelis Vecchio & Associati and CAS Arbitrator
- Matthew Kaiser, Associate Attorney, Global Sports Advocates
- Michael Savva, Assets and Structured Finance Partner, Watson Farley & Williams (Middle East) LLP.
- Nick De Marco QC, Barrister, Blackstone Chambers.
- Paolo Lombardi, Managing Director, Lombardi Associates Ltd and Former Head of Disciplinary and Governance at FIFA.
- Paul Shapiro, Partner, Northridge Law
- Richard Bush, Partner, Bird & Bird LLP
- Roberto de Palma Barracco, Judge, NDRC/CNRD, Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) & Head of Research. CBF Academy & CAS Arbitrator
- Roy Vermeer, Legal Director, FIFPro and formerly Senior Group Legal Counsel at FIFA.
- Sarah MacDonald, Partner, Wiggin
- Stephan Smith, Legal Counsel, The FA
- Tim Greenwell, Chief Governance & Operations Officer, Southampton FC