Understand The Rules Of The Game 2019 - LawInSport Annual Conference
We are excited to announce that the 5th LawInSport’s Annual Conference ‘Understand The Rules Of The Game 2019’ will be hosted at the Royal Institution of Great Britain, Green Park (Mayfair), London on 12th & 13th September 2019.
This two day conference will build on the success of the previous annual conferences at which over 300 leading sports lawyers, sports executives, academics, students and athletes networked and discussed the key issues and developments in international sports law.
You will be able to follow updates about the conference by using #LISconf19.
Interactive Panel Discussions
The conference provides attendees with two full days of interactive panel discussions, with world leading experts discussing the contemporary legal issues impacting global sport.
Professional Development & Knowledge Sharing
Not only will attendees partake in cutting edge panel discussions, they will also receive a complimentary copy of the “Understand The Rules Of The Game” conference magazine. Attendees will therefore have access to detailed reference materials that will help them when faced with legal issues in their work or studies.
The LawInSport Annual conference is well known for its unparalleled networking opportunities, and this will be a theme that continues at this year’s conference. With over 6 hours of networking during the two days and two evenings of networking drinks, attendees will have dedicated time to network and meet with colleagues in the sector in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Private Work Space
We understand that with all the best intentions to attend every session over the two days there will be times when attendees may need to check into work or take calls...the work of lawyers and executives never stops!
Therefore to give attendees the best opportunity to be present and make the most of the conference we have allocated a private room to work in and take calls through-out the conference should you need to. Thus you will never have to be far from the action and be able to take advantage of all the networking opportunities and participate in the conference as much as possible.
eSports: recent and future changes to the rapidly changing eSports ecosystem
Diplomacy: exploring the relationship between sports, global politics and the law
Insurance: the impact of insurance on domestic and international sport
Anti-doping: exploring the different approaches to anti-doping regimes
Marketing: creating and managing data and sports marketing agreements
New leagues: balancing the legal and commercial requirements of creating new sports leagues
Media rights: licensing sports media rights and dealing with piracy
Integrity: is it time for a more holistic approach to sports integrity? (match-fixing/safeguarding/anti-doping)
In-house: In-house counsel forum
Education: how should we train the next generation of sports lawyers?
Talent management: how to approach talent & reputation management in 2019
Dispute resolution: an update on key cases & developments of the year
Refereeing: a comparison of how technology is used to assist refereeing decisions across sports
LawInSport Plus Members with an annual membership benefit from a £100 discount on both the early bird and full price tickets. The discount is applied at the time of purchase as long as you are logged into your account.
There will be no discounts offered on any of the tickets other than stated below. We recommend you secure you ticket as soon as possible to avoid having to be placed on the waiting list.
Private practice solicitors and barristers - Tier 1
In-house lawyers, academics, sports agents, sports executives and administrators - Tier 2*
Enter 'Coupon Code' at registration:
INN2019 - Non-Member
Full time students - Tier 3*
Enter 'Coupon Code' at registration:
Athletes ** - Current and former professionals (this is not applicable to qualified lawyers and sports business professionals) - Tier 4
* Please note that all tickets are nonrefundable.
** This includes Olympians and Paralympians. If you are a private practice lawyer you will be required to purchase a ticket
Update Data protection GDPR - success, failure or too early to say?
Dispute resolution: Debate - Is sports arbitration fit for purpose?
eSports: An update on the key legal developments in eSports
Ticketing: How to effectively regulate the secondary ticketing market?
Japan: Update on the commercial and regulatory legal issues ahead of the Rugby World Cup and Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
Technology: Technology and sport - the current opportunities and challenges for the adoption of technology in sport?
NETWORKING DRINKS + WISLaw meet-up/welcome session
Update on Agents: How do different sports approach regulating sports agents?
Licensing: What challenges are there for governing bodies licensing sports events and participants?
Betting & Data: The relationship between betting industry, media & sports data
Media: What are the challenges and opportunities presented by the shift in how sports fans consume sports media?
Safe Sport: How can you create a gold standard for safe sport?
Commercial: How different approaches to negotiating international commercial contracts
In-House: General Counsel Forum
Day 1 will hosted panel discussions, short updates and debates on:
- Data protection/GDPR Update - success, failure or too early to say?
- Katie Hall, Solicitor, Gateley
- Katie Hall, Solicitor, Gateley
- eSports: An update on the key legal developments in eSports
- Chris Bond, Editor, LawInSport (Chair)
- Ian Smith, Integrity Commissioner, ESIC
- Anna Baumann, eSports Lawyer
- Vyte Danileviciute, International Counsel, Riot Games
- Dispute resolution: Debate - Is sports arbitration fit for purpose?
- Nina Goolamali QC, Head of Sport, 2 Temple Gardens (Chair)
- Jon Taylor QC, co-head of our Sport Group, Bird & Bird
- Sir Wyn Williams FLSW, Barrister, Judge (Former High Court Judge) and Mediator, 39 Essex Chambers
- Dr. Despina Mavromati, Attorney-at-law & Arbitrator, SportLegis
- John Mehrzad, Barrister and Head of Sports Group, Littleton Chambers
- Match-Fixing Update
- Kevin Carpenter, Principal, Captivate Legal & Sports Solutions & Special Counsel, Sports Integrity, Genius Sports
- Ticketing: How to effectively regulate the secondary ticketing market?
- Genevieve Gordon, Principal, Tactic Connect (Chair)
- Prof Mark James, Director of Research - Law, Manchester Law School
- James Stebbing, Head of Legal, Rugby Football Union
- Mike Jones, Associate, Harbottle & Lewis
- Jonathan Brown, CEO, Society of Ticket Agents and Retailers (STAR)
- Japanese Sports Industry: Update on the commercial and regulatory legal issues ahead of the Rugby World Cup and Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Andrew Smith, Barrister, Matrix Chambers (Chair)
- Takuya Yamazaki, Managing Partner, Field-R
- Nan Sato, Associate, Field-R
- Anil Matharu, Vice President and Counsel, IMG Events EMEA
- Omar Hassanein, Chief Executive, International Rugby Players' Association (IRPA)
- Technology: Technology and sport - the current opportunities and challenges for the adoption of technology in sport
- Sean Cottrell, CEO at LawInSport
- Alex Kelham, Partner and Head of Sport, Lewis Silkin
- Richard Brand, Head of Sport, Arent Fox
- Nan Sato, Associate, Field-R
Day 2 will hostED panel discussions on:
- Regulating Agents Update: How do different sports approach regulating sports agents?
- Prof. Richard Parrish, Director of the Centre for Sports Law Research at Edge Hill University
- Dr Andrea Cattaneo, Lecturer in Law, Edge Hill University
- Betting & Data: The relationship between betting industry, media & sports data
- Sean Cottrell, CEO at LawInSport (Chair)
- Susan Ahern, Barrister and former General Counsel of World Rugby
- Matt Drew, Executive Vice President Business Development and Former Director of Integrity & Security at Perform Group
- David Lampitt, Managing Director Group Operations at Sportradar AG
- Steven Burton Managing Director at Genius Sports
- Licensing: What challenges are there for governing bodies licensing sports events and participants?
- Jon Walters, Partner, Northridge (Chair)
- Dr Katarina Pijetlovic, Senior Lecturer in EU Law and Sports Law at Liverpool Hope University.
- Benoit Keane, Keane Legal and Consultant, Northridge
- Hannah McLean, In-House Counsel, Integrity & Development, ITF
- Polly Handford, Director of Legal and Governance, The Football Association
- Safe Sport: How can you create a gold standard for safe sport?
- Maureen Weston, Director, Entertainment Media & Sports Law Program, Pepperdine University (Chair)
- Adele Eastman, Solicitor (Child Protection Unit) Farrer & Co
- Norman Wain, General Counsel, Chief of Business Affairs, USA Track & Field
- Angus Bujalski, Legal and Governance Director, RFU
- Dr Daniel Rhind, Reader in Organisational Psychology, School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University
- Anti-Doping Update
- Rick Liddell, Barrister, 4 New Square
- Media: What are the challenges and opportunities presented by the shift in how sports fans consume sports media?
- Nick Fitzpatrick, Global Co-Chair, Media, Sport and Entertainment Sector, DLA Piper (Chair)
- Tom Burrows, Commercial Strategy Director - Rights & Distribution, DAZN & Perform Group
- Sarah MacDonald, Senior Associate, Wiggin
- Matthew Phillips, Chief Counsel, Media, BT
- Commercial contracts: How to approach negotiating international commercial contracts
- Nick De Marco QC, Blackstone Chambers
- Richard Brand, Head of Sport, Arent Fox (USA)
- Cassandra Heilbronn, Senior Associate, Minter Ellison (Australia)
- David Murray, Consultant, Shoosmiths and co-founder, Fozmuz (former Head of Sports Rights at BBC) (United Kingdom)
- Steve Bainbridge, Head of Sports Law & Events Management, Al Tamimi & Company (United Arab Emirates)
- In-House: General Counsel Forum
- Richard Millington, Head of Sports Group & Partner, Shoosmiths
- Kim Vande Velde, General Counsel, General Counsel, Ladies European Tour
- Alan Darfi, Head of Legal, Rugby Football League
- Carrie Donaghy, Senior Legal Counsel, Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport Formula One Team
2 Temple Gardens
39 Essex Chambers
4 New Square
4-5 Gray’s Inn Square Chambers
Advice Law Firm
Al Tamimi & Company
All India Football Federation
AM Sports Law and Management Co.
Bird & Bird
British Horseracing Authority
Browne Jacobson LLP
Buckinghamshire New University
Burges Salmon Company Limited
Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP
Coccia De Angelis Vecchio & Associati
Crown Office Chambers
CSM Sport & Entertainment
DAZN & Perform Group
De Montfort University
Deans Court Chambers
De MontFort University
DLA Piper UK LLP
Edge Hill University
Farrer & Co
FC Zenit JSC
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
Field-R Law Offices
Flash Athletics Club
Football Association of Wales
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Hackett & Dabbs LLP
Harbottle & Lewis
Harrison Drury Solicitors
Howard Kennedy LLP
ICSA: The Governance Institute
International Rugby Players' Association (IRPA)
International Tennis Federation
K&L Gates LLP
Kilburn & Strode LLP
Ladies European Tour
Lellos P.Demetriades Law Office LLC
Lewis Silkin LLP
Lex Veritas Law Firm
Liverpool Hope University
Mackrel Turner Garrett
Manchester Law School
Manchester United Football Club
MAQS Advokatbyrå (Law Firm)
Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport Formula One Team
Mills & Reeve
Northridge Law LLP
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
Norwich City Football Club plc
Nottingham Trent University
Nursing and Midwifery Council
Outer Temple Chambers
Pit Stop Brand Consultancy Ltd
PLAUSUS UK LTD
Rugby Football League
Rugby Football Union
Saffery Champness LLP
Scott+Scott Europe LLP
Shepherd and Wedderburn LLP
Shimin Law Offices
Snedden Hall & Gallop Lawyers
Sport Northern Ireland
Sport Resolutions (UK)
Sporting Integrity Ltd
Sports Law Bar Association of Ireland
Squire Patton Boggs (UK) LLP
St Johns Buildings
St Patrick's Athletic
Stadium Management South Africa
Stevens & Bolton LLP
Tenet Compliance & Litigation Limited
The Danish League
The Football Association
The PA Group (PA Sport)
The Rugby Players Association
The Sports Consultancy Limited
The Society of Writers to HM Signet
The University of Law
Université Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
University of Bielefeld
University of Salford
USA Track & Field
Vandellos Sports Law
Von Appen Jens Legal
Watford Football Club
World Trade Organization
10 hours self-certified CPD
Royal Institution of Great Britain, Green Park, Central London.
We will announce a special discount rate with a conference hotel by July 2019.
|Event Date||12-09-2019 8:00|
|Event End Date||13-09-2019 20:00|
|Individual Price||£800 + VAT|