Secretariat is an Expert Services, Litigation Consulting, and Economic Advisory firm working with the world’s leading law firms, corporations, and governmental agencies to resolve conflicts and mitigate complex risks. Quality, integrity, and independence are woven into every aspect of our work. The ever-increasing flow of funds brings new commercial opportunities for all stakeholders involved, but unfortunately, also leads to disagreements and disputes amongst the stakeholders.
Secretariat experts are trusted in the highest-stakes legal, risk, and regulatory matters around the world. Renowned law firms, leading corporations, and respected governmental entities turn to our disputes, litigation, economic, and data advisory services when the stakes are high -- supporting them with meticulous preparation, insightful analysis, and clearly persuasive communications.
Our bright minds and passionate problem-solvers put their financial, analytical, and strategic insights to work in the fast-paced sectors we serve – from construction and energy to healthcare, technology, natural resources, and sports and entertainment.
With more than 400 experts and advisors, the caliber of our team and the depth of our capabilities are demonstrated by the accolades we have earned, including:
- 90% of testifying experts recognized by Who's Who Legal
- Engagements with 80%+ of the Top 100 Global Law Firms
- More than 50 PhD economists with degrees from leading institutions
- $500 billion combined deal value of matters worked
- Experience in 100+ countries globally
Secretariat currently ranks 4th in the Global Arbitration Review (GAR) 2023 Expert Witness Power Index, the preeminent annual ranking of the world’s leading international arbitration practices. The Index was constructed using qualitative data provided by law firms and clients. According to GAR, “Secretariat’s average claim value is US$582 million, which is the fifth highest in the table and its total value at stake – US$36.1 billion – is the third highest. It is also home to the second-largest population of WWL rated individuals (24), and second in the Thought Leaders’ column (7).”
Secretariat professionals specialize in the following areas:
- Antitrust & Competition
- Construction Damages
- Construction Delay
- Data Analytics & Automation
- Data Security & Privacy Compliance
- Digital Forensics
- Economic Damages & Valuations
- Economic Regulation
- Forensic Investigations
- Government Contracts
- Intellectual Property
- Labour & Employment Disputes
Our Relevant Sport & Entertainment Sector Experience
We have vast experience in business valuation and quantification of damages across several sports. Our recent experience in the sports and entertainment sector includes:
- Currently engaged to value four North American sports franchises and related real estate and business assets.
- Valuation of the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Team used to settle claims against an estate, and to assess and pay income taxes owned by The Estate of Harold Ballard.
- Valuation of naming rights associated with professional sports arena regarding an alleged breach of contract.
- Prepared a purchase price allocation valuation report and goodwill impairment testing report for a Canadian-based electronic gaming company for financial reporting purposes in connection with its planned initial public offering.
- Provided preliminary observations on potential heads of economic damages suffered by an Austrian international gambling company arising from disputes with the Republic of Albania.
- Assessed various valuation metrics and revenue models for regulatory purposes for the Las Vegas Gaming Commission.
- Testified for an economic damages report prepared in connection with a dispute between a European gaming company and a Southeastern European government relating to a Concession Agreement which gave the Claimant the exclusive right to produce, operate, circulate, promote, and manage certain lotteries for the State over a 12-year term.
- Evaluated a major league baseball team’s variable pricing strategy and recommended improvements to increase revenue, maximize attendance, and improve the fan experience of buying tickets.
- Valuation of a Canadian film exhibitor and quantification of damages under different legal theories. This matter was in relation to a litigation in Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice involving a failed acquisition of a Canadian film exhibitor by an UK-based company. The judge awarded $1.2 billion of damages, as calculated in our expert report.
- Street: Bay Adelaide Centre, East Tower, 22 Adelaide St. W., Suite 2730
- Postcode: M5H 4E3
- City: Toronto
- Country: Canada
- Telephone: +1 416-831-8775