Charles Russell Speechlys
Charles Russell Speechlys has been at the forefront of providing legal advice in the sports sector for more than 100 years and acted in many of the leading cases which have helped to shape what is now known as “sports law”.
Our client base is made up of household names. We are go-to advisors for governing bodies, major clubs, elite athletes, brands and agencies. Our experience spans the full spectrum of sports including football, rugby, horseracing, F1, cricket, athletics, cycling and many more.
The team consists of specialists who work exclusively within sport and are recognised by our clients and independent directories as being market leaders. We are experts in the following areas:
- Governance and Regulation
- Financial regulation
- Sponsorship & other commercial contracts
- Acquisitions and financing
- Player transfers, contracts and image rights
- Reputation management
- Sports litigation
- Sports: Private
Examples of our experience include:
- We are The FA’s advisors on regulatory, disciplinary, media and litigation matters.
- We are the legal adviser to Nike in the UK, advising on a variety of matters ranging from sponsorship, merchandising, marketing, advertising and retail.
- We have advised the British Horseracing Authority (previously the Jockey Club) for many years and have successfully acted for them in numerous landmark cases (including Bradley, Fallon and McKeown).
- In rugby, we act for Premiership Rugby in relation to the operation of its salary cap and advise both the RFU and the Welsh Rugby Union on regulatory and disciplinary matters.
- We advise many high profile brands on sports sponsorships including Paddy Power, Moet & Chandon, Westfield, Barclays and SBOBet.
- We have acted on a number of the most high profile football transfers in recent times (such as Fabregas, Aguero, Henry and Adebayor,).
- We represent major European football clubs in cases brought by UEFA (including FC Metalist, Fenerbahce and Panathinaikos).
- Street: 5 Fleet Place
- Postcode: EC4M 7RD
- City: London
- State: London
- Country: United Kingdom
- Tel: 0207 203 5319