I am a barrister, providing legal advice and representation on matters of regulatory and healthcare law. I advise organisations and individuals who are threatened with regulatory enforcement action and on a range of other disputes and court hearings.
I advise on investigations and enforcement action by a number of regulators, such as the Health & Safety Executive, the Care Quality Commission, sports regulatory bodies and government departments. I can attend interviews under caution to protect your interests and can also represent you at any eventual court hearing.
For healthcare clients, I advise on issues such as:
- Inquests (including jury inquests and Article 2 hearings)
- Capacity and consent (including best interests and the withdrawal of treatment)
- Freedom of information and data protection
- Access to treatment (including funding disputes)
- Patient safety incidents and serious incident investigations
I represent NHS England in list management disputes and conduct list management hearings and tribunal appeal hearings. I deal with primary care contracting disputes, covering all primary care professions.
All of us in the team provide clear advice, aimed at solving your problems. We look out for potential pitfalls and guide you away from them. Where it is possible to resolve a dispute quickly, we do so, while ensuring that your interests are protected. Where a dispute cannot be quickly resolved, we provide robust advice and support to secure a successful outcome.
You will sometimes need advice in hours or even minutes. I am one of a number of lawyers here who provide advice via our on-call out of hours service to NHS clients. You will receive prompt, practical and accurate advice.
We know that you are under financial pressures. We are clear about our costs and we keep you updated – there are no nasty surprises.
Recent comments include:
- "I just wanted to say how pleased I have been at the really great speed at which your team gets work back to us and of course the quality." (from an in-house lawyer in an NHS client, the compliment being to the entire team!)
- "I gave instructions mid morning and got something back mid afternoon. It certainly makes my life easier and of course my colleagues are aware of the very good service we get." (from a client at a clinical commissioning group).
- "Once again, thank you so much for your sterling assistance with this Inquest and I look forward to working with you in the future." (from an NHS Foundation Trust client).
- "Very clear advice (as always) if I may say. Thanks for pulling out the stops on this Phil; we are very pleased you are advising us!" (from a CCG)
- "Thank you for such a detailed and frank explanation." (from a sportsperson facing investigation by their regulatory body)
I’m an experienced advocate – I was at the Criminal Bar for ten years and an in-house advocate at the GMC after that. Before moving here, I was Director of Legal Services at the General Optical Council. In that role, as well as advising the organisation myself, I used external legal advisers for some of our work.
I have experienced the client’s perspective on seeking advice and representation from a law firm – I know what it is that clients want in terms of expertise, availability, quick turnaround times, certainty on cost and sensible, practical advice.