Daniel Geey is a Partner in the Sport Group.
Daniel’s practice focuses principally on helping clients in the sports sector, including rights holders, leagues, governing bodies, associations, clubs, agencies, athletes, sports technology companies, broadcasters and financial institutions.
He advises clients on regulatory matters, dispute resolution, as well as competition law, commercial and broadcasting issues in a range of sports including football, tennis, rugby, cricket, boxing, basketball, athletics and gymnastics.
In Chambers and Partners, Daniel has been described by clients as “a remarkable source of knowledge and guidance” and has “a wealth of knowledge and contacts within the professional football industry". Daniel is also recommended in the most recent global Who’s Who Sports Lawyer rankings.
Daniel's work includes:
- Providing advice to companies and financial institutions working in the sports sector on financial fair play, third party investment, betting, compliance, sporting investments, and securitisation deals and receivables payments;
- Advising football clubs and owners on takeover, transfer, commercial, regulatory, dispute, eligibility, relegation and disciplinary related matters;
- Representing leagues on dispute, jurisdiction, compliance and arbitration procedures;
- Advising agencies and sportsmen and women on disputes, contract negotiations, image rights, sponsorship, betting, integrity, conflicts of interest, eligibility issues and regulatory cost control matters;
- Assisting broadcasters and media companies on EU law, the tender processes for Premier League and Champions League rights, geo-blocking, copyright and the listing of free-to-air sports.
Daniel is an accomplished speaker and writer, and has lectured at a number of European universities on a variety of contemporary sports law issues. He also tweets at www.twitter.com/footballlaw, blogs at www.danielgeey.com/blog and provides comment and analysis for media outlets such as Sky, BT Sport, ITV, the BBC, CNN, the Daily Telegraph, the Times, the Independent, Bloomberg, TV2, TalkSport and FCBusiness.
Daniel is also Chairman of Football Aid, and sits on the Editorial Board for LawinSport.
- Tel: 020 7079 0225