Matthew, a solicitor at Mills & Reeve LLP, specialises in Sports Law and is an FA and RFL Registered Lawyer. He advises players' associations including Professional Players Federation, Professional Footballers' Association, PFA Scotland, Rugby Players Association, 1eagu3 and their members, a number of professional football clubs, players and agents on regulatory and legal matters.
Matthew also acts for clients on sports disciplinary matters (including anti-doping matters), image rights, sponsorship and endorsement contracts and contractual issues.
Matthew has a wealth of experience representing clubs and players, both nationally and internationally, in proceedings before the Football League (Football Disciplinary Committee), the FA, the Professional Football Compensation Committee (PFCC) and FIFA. He also has considerable knowledge of cases before the Court of Arbitration for Sport and recently acted as an ad hoc clerk on two anti-doping cases.
- A player friendly approach to anti-doping violations - the “Kolasa” case
- Pre-Contracts in football
- WADA Article 10.4 – Part 2
- Wallader - Case review
- Sheffield United FC win FIFA training compensation case
- Training compensation in football
- WADA Article 10.4 "specified substances" - the end of the farce?
- Sports agents take note – ‘companies’ cannot represent clients, players and clubs