Sports law in 2021 – key issues to watch in North America
Here are the top sports law issues to watch out for in 2021 in North America from the LawInSport Editorial Board.
- Jodi S Balsam - Employment disputes, replenishing revenue streams and the participation of transgender women in sport.
- Paul Green - Changes to the Olympic qualifying standards.
- Joshua Gordon - Adapting to the new normal.
- Marc Conrad - Risk management procedures with the return of fans, insurance litigation and how the Biden Administration may impact sport.
- Aaron Swerdlow - Compensation of college athletes and regulating college sports.
- Lindsay Brandon – The new WADA Code.
- Christopher Chase - Whether pre-COVID agreements are enforceable and New York’s new “right of publicity” law.
- Glenn Wong - Alston v. NCAA and name, image and likeness laws being introduced.
- Maureen Weston - Regulating name, image and likeness.
- Ricky Volante - Big year for college sports.
We would like to thank each member of our Editorial Board for taking the time out of their busy schedules to share their views with us, and also more broadly for their significant input into LawInSport over the course of the year. Thank you.
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: American Football | Anti-Doping | Athlete Rights | Baseball | Basketball | Broadcasting | Canada | College Sports | Contract | Coronavirus | Covid-19 | Employment | Empowering Olympic | Football | Paralympic and Amateur Athletes Act of 2020 | Rodchenkov Anti-Doping Act | USA | Women's Football | World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
About the Author
Chris is the Editor at LawInSport, and takes responsibility for the review of content in conjunction with the Editorial Board. Prior to joining LawInSport, Chris graduated from Nottingham University, and trained and worked as a litigation lawyer at King & Wood & Mallesons SJ Berwin.