COVID-19: a guide to Australia’s main legal changes for sporting organisations
The COVID-19 pandemic has had, and will continue to have, a major impact on sport in Australia. Competitions and events have been cancelled or postponed; revenue streams and commercial arrangements have been disrupted; and participation in and attendance at sporting events has ceased.
In response to the pandemic, the Commonwealth and State governments and other relevant authorities have announced important amendments to various laws. The changes affect a wide variety of areas and many of the changes have important consequences for the operations and legal obligations of Australian sporting organisations.
This articles summaries some of the key recent legal changes which are relevant to Australian sporting organisations. Specifically, it looks at:
- Government directions
- JobKeeper program
- Changes to employment law
- Conduct of general meetings
- Creditors, debts and directors
- Landlords and tenants
Get access to this article and all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport
Already a member?
Articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission is granted to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: Australia | Australian Securities and Investments Commission | Australian Taxation Office | Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Fair Work Act 2009 | Governance | JobKeeper program | Regulation | Tax
- COVID-19: the impact of postponing or cancelling sports events in India
- COVID-19: a legal perspective on FIFA’s guiding principles for national football associations
- COVID-19: how is esports coping compared to traditional sports?
- COVID-19: practical guidance for those affected by cancelled sports events in Germany
Mark has a broad range of experience in corporate and commercial practice areas, with a particular focus on the sports and media industries.
Martin practices commercial law with extensive experience in contracts and commercial litigation. Martin focuses on corporate, commercial, regulatory and private clients, with particular expertise in the sports and media sectors.