Legal Director, Shoosmiths
Mark is a Legal Director specialising in intellectual property with strong experience coordinating cross-border IP litigation and finding creative solutions to his clients' concerns.
His recent experience has involved both contentious and non-contentious work for a broad range of clients from multi-national pharmaceutical companies to start ups and individuals in the creative sector. Much of his work has an international focus and he has a well-developed network of trusted foreign counsel.
Mark has spent much of the past few years advising easyGroup on the protection of its 'easy' family of brands, which includes easyJet, easyHotel, easyCar, easyOffice and easyProperty among several others. Mark's work for easyGroup has included running cases before the UK Court of Appeal, High Court and IPEC and overseeing cases in several other jurisdictions.
In addition to his work for easyGroup Mark has recently:
- Coordinated parallel copyright, trade mark and unfair competition actions in several European countries for a multi-national pharmaceutical company;
- Advised a hotel group on several new brands;
- Cleared the brand of a pre-eminent taxi service company;
- Advised a technology company on the protection of its trade secrets including securing a preliminary order for delivery up;
- Drafted a patent and know-how licence for an innovative clean technology company;
- Negotiated several commission agreements on behalf of an up and coming London artist; and
- Advised a haulage company on the enforcement of its patents.
Mark gives regular talks on IP and also takes the time to give pro bono IP advice including organising termly IP clinics for students and alumni of the Royal College of Art.