The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Electoral Committee has reviewed the nomination forms and documents provided and has confirmed that eight candidates will stand for the three additional places available to Asia on the new FIFA Council. At least one of those three places must be filled by a woman.
The eight candidates who will contest the election at the AFC Extraordinary Congress on September 27 in Goa and who complied with the requirements set out in the May 17, 2016 letter and in the AFC Electoral Code which called for candidates are:
- FIFA Council Members
- Zhang Jian (China PR)
- Ali Kafashian Naeni (Islamic Republic of Iran)
- Mong Gyu Chung (Korea Republic)
- Saoud A.Aziz Al-Mohannadi (Qatar)
- Zainudin Nordin (Singapore)
- FIFA Female Council Member
- Moya Dodd (Australia)
- Mahfuza Ahkter (Bangladesh)
- Han Un Gyong (DPR Korea)
In accordance to the FIFA Statutes and the FIFA Governance Regulations, the above list of candidates for the FIFA Council has been submitted to the FIFA General Secretariat in order for the FIFA Review Committee to carry out the eligibility check on each candidate.
The AFC Electoral Committee, which was announced earlier in the week, comprises Chairperson Mr F Randall Cunliffe (Guam) and Deputy Chairpersons Dr Hamid Al-Shaibani (Yemen) and Mr Muhannad Fahmi Hamad (Bahrain).
The Committee is responsible for the organisation, running and supervision of the elective Congress.
- Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Electoral Code Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Electoral Committee Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Extraordinary Congress FIFA FIFA Council FIFA Governance Regulations FIFA Review Committee FIFA Statutes Football Governance Regulation