Marylebone Cricket Club releases first ever Laws of Cricket app
- Guardians of the Laws and Spirit of Cricket develop free mobile app to explain Laws of the game to supporters of all ages.
- App includes a series of animations voiced by Stephen Fry, easy to follow explanations of each Law, and a special Laws quiz.
- App is free to download on all iOS and Android devices (mobile and tablet versions).
- To download a selection of images from within the app click here: https://we.tl/WqJqec0j1r.
Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has released the first ever Laws of Cricket app.
Free to download, ‘MCC Laws of Cricket’ includes easily digestible explanations of each Law, new imagery and animations and a special Laws quiz.
MCC is the Guardian of the Laws and Spirit of Cricket, and all 42 Laws of the game are explained within the app.
The Laws are categorised into eight sections explaining everything from how to set up a game to appeals and modes of dismissals.
There are 15 Laws animations available to view, all of which are voiced by writer, broadcaster and actor Stephen Fry and explain various Laws including ‘Damaging the Pitch’ and ‘Obstructing the Field’.
Fry is aided in his explanations by ‘Tommy’, an animated young cricketer who learns from the Laws simulations throughout the animations.
The app further simplifies the Laws of Cricket with 18 separate videos of umpire signals, designed to help players, officials and fans to decipher exactly what an umpire’s movements mean.
The final feature is the Laws quiz, which tests the user on knowledge acquired through interacting with the app. The quiz caters for a wide range of cricketing experience with ‘Beginner’, ‘Intermediate’ and ‘Advanced’ levels available to select. Scores can be shared via social media.
The app has been developed by MCC alongside digital agency Mobanode, who have previously produced the Laws of Rugby app for World Rugby and have also worked with Heineken and O2.
Derek Brewer, MCC Chief Executive, said: “A lot of development work has gone in to this application and it is another example of MCC’s commitment to investing in digital – an area in which the Club strives to remain ahead of the curve within cricket. As Guardians of the Laws and Spirit of Cricket, it is vital that MCC embraces the new audiences that the sport has gained in recent years and makes the Laws of the game even more accessible."
“This app is the perfect introduction to the game for a new supporter. There is also plenty within it that will appeal to players of all ages, officials, coaches and more traditional cricket supporters who want to brush up on their knowledge.”
The app is available to download for all Android and iOS devices.
Download the Android app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lords.lawsofcricket&hl=en.
Download the iOS app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-laws-of-cricket/id1099867255?ls=1&mt=8.
- Tags: Cricket | International Cricket Council (ICC) | Laws of Cricket | Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) | MCC Laws of Cricket
- Shashank Manohar elected unopposed as independent ICC Chairman
- Is sharing sports clips on social media an infringement of copyright under UK, European, Australian & US law?
- ICC withdraws disciplinary proceedings against Kusal Perera after original Adverse Analytical Finding withdrawn
- Is the ECB v Fanatix decision a fair deal for copyright owners?