WADA publishes proposed drafts of the 2021 World Anti-Doping Code and International Standards
22nd October 2019
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is pleased to publish the following proposed drafts of the 2021 World Anti-Doping Code (Code) and International Standards (Standards), which will be presented for discussion by stakeholders during the Fifth World Conference on Doping in Sport, taking place from 5-7 November 2019 in Katowice, Poland; and, presented for endorsement respectively by WADA’s Executive Committee (ExCo) – as relates to the Standards – and Foundation Board (Board) – as relates to the Code – at the conclusion of the Conference on 7 November 2019.
- 2021 World Anti-Doping Code
- International Standard for Code Compliance by Signatories (ISCCS)
- International Standard for Laboratories (ISL)
- International Standard for the Protection of Privacy and Personal Information (ISPPPI)
- International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI)
- International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions (ISTUE)
- International Standard for Education (ISE) (New)
- International Standard for Results Management (ISRM) (New)
In December 2017, WADA initiated the 2021 Code Review Process, which consisted of three distinct consultation phases for the Code and two for the Standards; during which, stakeholders received successive draft revisions; and, their feedback and recommendations were fed back to the eight distinct drafting teams. All successive drafts were published on WADA’s website.
WADA Management is confident that the Review Process, which was reported upon on multiple occasions to WADA’s ExCo and Board, was extensive and transparent – ensuring that all stakeholders had the opportunity to contribute to the practical improvement of the global anti-doping program. For the Code Review alone, the drafting team held 123 meetings and received over 2,000 comments. The Agency is grateful to all the stakeholders for their high-quality feedback; and to the drafting teams that have delivered on this momentous effort that will result in greater protection for Clean Sport.
Legal Opinion regarding the 2021 Code
WADA is also pleased to publish the French version of a Legal Opinion by Judge Jean-Paul Costa, former President of the European Court of Human Rights. Judge Costa rendered his opinion on the 2021 Code, in his capacity as consultant to WADA. His opinion refers to the compatibility of proposed new measures in the Code with international standards relating to human rights and his comments were incorporated within the proposed draft. [The English version will be posted to WADA’s website next week.]
Development and Implementation Guide for Stakeholders
To assist Signatories in their adjustment to, and implementation of, the Code and the Standards, at a later date, WADA will implement a 2021 Code Stakeholder Support Program; and, will work in collaboration with its partners. The aim of the Support Program is to provide simplified guidance for Signatories on what is required by 1 January 2021 when the 2021 Code comes into effect.
In the meantime, we are pleased to provide a Development and Implementation Guide for Stakeholders, which touches upon the Support Program and summarizes other matters of importance related to the Review Process; in particular:
- the significant changes between the current 2015 Code and the proposed Code;
- the significant changes between the current Standards and the proposed Standards; and
- a summary of the key topics being addressed in the new Standards.
- Tags: 2021 World Anti-Doping Code | Anti-Doping | Fifth World Conference on Doping in Sport | International Standard for Code Compliance by Signatories (ISCCS) | International Standard for Education (ISE) | International Standard for Laboratories (ISL) | International Standard for Results Management (ISRM) | International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI) | International Standard for the Protection of Privacy and Personal Information (ISPPPI) | International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions (ISTUE) | World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)