27 September 2017
- 16 members appointed to British racing’s Diversity in Racing Steering Group
- Steering group to drive diversity and inclusivity agenda in British horseracing
The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has today announced the full membership of the sport’s first-ever industry steering group focused on diversity.
A total of 16 people will sit on the Diversity in Racing Steering Group (DiRSG), which will be led by the BHA on behalf of the sport, with the objective of working collaboratively to champion and support the industry in its efforts to enhance its diversity and inclusivity. The Group meets for the first time in October.
A final five members were appointed following an application process which was open to people with experience, interest and commitment to improving diversity and inclusivity in racing. The successful applicants were –
- Guy Disney, The Royal Foundation Project Manager
- Francesca Leyland, Regulus Partners Gambling and Sports Advisor
- Victoria Morgan, Newington Communications Political Consultant
- Harriet Rochester, Rochester PR Founder
- Tanya Stevenson, Freelance Sports Journalist
The DiRSG will be a forum for the discussion of ideas and activities related to diversity and inclusivity in racing and will make recommendations to the BHA and other industry stakeholders in determining the priorities of the industry and influencing the general course of operations.
Early items for consideration include –
- Considering what an industry-wide policy for diversity and inclusivity looks like for racing
- Reviewing policies to address greater diversity in racing’s stakeholder organisations, and amongst owners, participants and racing fans
- Ensuring racing’s current position and trends around diversity in the industry’s workforce are understood and that appropriate policies and procedures are in place to allow for improved data collection and against which benchmarks can be set
- Collating and enhancing the communication of existing industry training and development initiatives
- Considering recruitment processes and pipeline development throughout the industry
- Assessing issues and policies adopted by other racing jurisdictions, sports and industries which have led to real improvement in diversity and inclusivity metrics.