John is a senior associate in the Sports Business Group at Lewis Silkin specialising in contentious, regulatory and disciplinary issues for clubs, agencies, governing bodies and athletes
He advises clients in relation to a wide range of matters including:
- Disputes in the civil courts as well as sport specific arbitration tribunals such as FIFA’s Dispute Resolution Chamber and the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
- Regulatory compliance at both a national and international level;
- Disciplinary proceedings for sanctions such as regulation breaches or on/off field misconduct; and
- Advice on the registration and transfer of players including drafting transfer agreements and player contracts.
John writes regular articles on sports law and provides updates on Twitter (@fc_legal). He is also a member of the British Association for Sport and Law, Sport Resolutions’ Pro Bono Legal Advice List and the appeals committee of the International Powerlifting Federation.
- The FA’s strict stance on political messages: A review of Pep Guardiola’s yellow ribbon case
- Six key lessons for clubs on the protection of minors from the FC Barcelona & Real Madrid appeals
- Initial thoughts on Real Madrid’s transfer ban being partially upheld by CAS
- How the ban on emergency loans in English football will affect clubs and players
- An explanation of Atlético and Real Madrid's transfer bans and their prospects on appeal
- Terminating without just cause: when is a new club jointly liable for compensation under the FIFA Regs? The latest Mutu decision
- A guide to The Football League’s decision on Massimo Cellino
- Football player contracts - waiving training compensation
- FIFA rejects appeals of FC Barcelona and the Spanish FA in relation to transfers of minors
- Unpaid football players’ wages – the legal position
- What next for Anelka and West Brom?
- Initial considerations from the latest Adrian Mutu compensation ruling
- The enforceability of pre-contracts in football
- Henning Berg v Blackburn Rovers
- Retrospective action under the FA’s disciplinary procedures
- The case of Vernon Fernando and FIFA’s code of ethics
- FC Barcelona and the protection of minors - Article 19 of FIFA Regs
- The curious transfer of Zeki Fryers
- What next for Portsmouth?
- The legal options for the Hillsborough families
- What next for the Hillsborough families?
- The cost of match day policing - who pays?
- Why the football creditors rule is here to stay
- Tottenham Hotspur's and Leyton Orient's Legal Grounds for Challenging The Olympic Stadium Decision