Lydia is an active member of the Littleton Chambers Sports law group. In line with the broader chambers specialisms Lydia’s core areas of practice are commercial law and employment law. Lydia’s commercial practice encompasses disputes including contractual interpretation, professional negligence and directors’ duties. Lydia’s employment work has a particular focus on disability discrimination but also incorporates all areas of tribunal disputes and high court action in relation to bonuses and restrictive covenants.
Lydia is a contributor to the Sports Insights publications and her most recent article addressed the implications of the financial fair play rules. Lydia also speaks regularly on sports law subjects including, “Interpretation of contracts in a sporting context” and “Fixed term contracts in sports”. Lydia's keen interest in sport stems from personal connections to the world of cricket and football. The many hours sitting at various county grounds under grey skies or in the rain and snow at Villa Park have confirmed a lasting passion which she is keen to further through her legal practice.
Lydia is regularly instructed on sports law disputes with recent cases including:
- A dispute between a player and sponsor regarding image rights
- A debt claim against a former professional sportsman
- A disciplinary hearing in relation to a failed drugs test
- A negotiation relating to the termination of the employment of a senior director at a sport facility
- Application for the winding up of a sports club
- Sport and equality - the year in review 2018/19
- A review of FIFA’s Code of Ethics 2018
- How a change in approach could help tackle racism in football – The Jonjo Shelvey case
- Terminating a contract for “just cause”: how bad do things have to be? A review of CAS’s decision in Salkic
- Regulating unruly football fans: the state of English law and proposed improvements
- Does the FA strike the right balance on players’ and managers’ media comments?
- Why IAAF rules require a rethink after steeplechaser’s disqualification
- The vanishing Tiger - What’s in a name?
- Mind games and mental drain - legal duties of clubs to protect sports stars from stress