Keane Legal is a leading European sports law practice located in Brussels at the heart of the European Union.
Benoît Keane counsels on the application of EU law to the regulatory and commercial activities of sports organizations. He often represents sports organizations in cases before the European Courts and European Commission. Also, he works in partnership with law firms on cases before the Court of Arbitration for Sport and national courts where European sports law issues arise.
Indeed, Benoît has acted in many of the leading European sports law cases before the European Courts and European Commission including:
- Striani case: defending the UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations against an antitrust claim
- QC Leisure / Karen Murphy case: protecting sports rightholders against unauthorized broadcasts of football matches in bars
- UK listed events case: concerning EU audiovisual legislation on the list of major events to be shown on free-TV
Drawing on this experience, Benoît advises sports organizations on a wide range of complex regulatory issues to ensure that sports organizations are acting in compliance with EU law in particular relating to:
- Transfer and player release regulations
- Anti-doping regulations
- Financial control regulations
Benoît also provides practical advice on the application of EU law, particularly EU antitrust law, to the commercial activities of sports organizations including:
- Sale of media rights under EU antitrust law and audiovisual legislation
- Appointment of exclusive licensing partners
- Appointment of exclusive approved suppliers
- Receipt of State subsidy for sporting activities
Simply put, Benoît Keane is a key player in a sports organization’s or law firm’s team on any European sports law matter.
- Street: Rue des Deux Eglises 39
- City: Brussels 1000
- Country: Belgium
- Telephone: +32 2 280 68 80