How are changes to the law impacting sports' ability to commercialise data?
In recent years, the sports industry has increasingly been shaped by the expanding use and commercialization of data. LawInSport's 7th Annual Conference - Understand The Rules of The Game™ 2021 convened a panel of experts to discuss and predict the development of laws and standards within this rapidly shifting landscape.
This article contains a recording of the panel discussion and a summary of the important issues and developments that anyone working in, or with an interest in the commercial aspected of the sport should be aware of.
- Anya Proops QC, Barrister, 11KBW. She has acted in numerous important cases clarifying the law on both group litigation orders and representative actions, typically concerning data privacy. Anya Proops QC is acting for one of the parties involved in Project Red Card which concerns the legality of handling of statistical sports data.
- Hugh Tomlinson QC, Barrister, Matrix Chambers. He is a noted specialist in media and information law including defamation, confidence, privacy and data protection. Most recently, he has acted for the representative claimant in the pioneering opt out group action, Lloyd v Google.
- Jorge Oliveira, Head of Data Protection & Cybersecurity Risk, FIFA. At FIFA, he initiated an internal data protection team within the organization’s legal and compliance division. FIFA has launched the FIFA Data Protection Portal, a one-stop shop where ticket buyers, guests, members of the media, fans, match officials and others can go to learn what data FIFA has collected, how it is used, where it comes from, how long it is stored and with whom it is shared.
- Manan Agrawal (moderator), Editor, LawInSport
To view the panel session, please click here (Plus membership required).
To continue reading or watching login or register here
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Blockchain | Commercial Law | Data Protection | FIFA | Football | General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) | NFT | Regulation & Governance | Sports | United Kingdom (UK)