Sport and anti-doping – the year in review 2019/20
This article surveys some of the most high-profile anti-doping stories of the last twelve months, including the eight-year ban imposed on Chinese sporting icon, Sun Yang. It also identifies various cases which involve less decorated athletes but are no less interesting and significant.
The broad structure is as follows:
- first, we look at the new Court of Arbitration for Sport Anti-Doping Division before turning to consider some appeals before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) starting with WADA v Sun Yang;
- then we identify some interesting UK cases of the last year;
- then we provide an update on the Russian state-sponsored doping scandal and flag various anti-doping decisions and events to look out for in the coming months;
- then we consider how WADA is dealing with the challenging and rapidly evolving situation regarding the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- finally, we refer to a couple of matters ‘hot off the press’.
The list of cases and issues we have chosen is necessarily selective and far from exhaustive.
Get access to this article and all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport
Already a member?
Articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission is granted to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Athletics | Boxing | CAS Anti-Doping Division | Integrity | International Weightlifting Federation | Swimming | WADA Code | Weightlifting | World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- Sports integrity (betting and financial corruption) – the year in review 2019/20
- Sport and commercial law – the year in review 2019/20
- Sports disputes and disciplinary procedures – the year in review 2019/20
- Sports governance - the year in review 2019/20
Barrister, 4 New Square
Barrister, 4 New Square
Will receives instructions in a range of commercial and regulatory matters involving the sports industry with a particular focus on anti-doping and anti-corruption charges. Will’s experience includes the complete defence of charges of refusing, evading and/or failing to provide a sample against a former Olympian (led by Pippa Manby). Will recently appeared before a Scottish Football Association Tribunal in respect of gambling charges and has acted on both the player and governing body side in tennis match-fixing cases.