The role of the UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector in disciplinary proceedings
Article 32(1)(b) of the UEFA Statutes sets out UEFA’s “Organs for the Administration of Justice” as follows:
UEFA’s Organs for the Administration of Justice are:
a. the UEFA disciplinary bodies, i.e. the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body and the Appeals Body;
b. the Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors;
c. the Club Financial Control Body.
Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors (EDIs) participate in disciplinary proceedings, representing UEFA independently in cases before its Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) and Appeals Body (AB). EDIs play a key role in this framework, performing both investigative and representative duties with the aim of ensuring the correct application of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and other UEFA rules.
This article explains the role of UEFA’s EDIs. Specifically it looks at:
- The appointment process, necessary qualifications and term of service;
- General duties of EDI’s
- Their role in proceedings before the CEDB
- Their role in proceedings before the AB
- Their role in proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | Dispute Resolution | Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) | Ethics and Disciplinary Inspectors (EDIs) | Football | Governance | Regulation | UEFA | UEFA Appeals Body | UEFA Control | UEFA Disciplinary Regulations
- How a change in approach could help tackle racism in football – The Jonjo Shelvey case
- A dispute over training compensation in US Soccer: Youth Soccer Clubs v USSF, MLS & MLSPU
- When can a club oblige a player to undertake an individual training plan? A review of the Sebino Plaku case
- Betting in football – Was The FA’s decision on Joey Barton a fair one?
Private practice lawyer based in Madrid in the firm Sport Advisers, specialized in sports law, and a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector. LLM in International Sports Law from Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía (ISDE) and Master in Sports Law from Universidad de Lleida.
Telephone: +34 91 355 1845