Skip to main content

Match-Fixing Update: IOC allocate $10mn to fight illegal betting and India's CBI establish Sports Integrity Unit

Football inbound to blue boots
Saturday, 23 August 2014
This week’s media recap features India’s positive efforts to combat match-fixing by establishing a Sports Integrity Unit, which will be looking into match-fixing, doping, illegal betting and other sports related corruption. Furthermore, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has started drafting a bill to prevent match-fixing and other dishonest behaviour in sport.

We also include two stories of journalists, each at opposite ends of the spectrum relating to match-fixing. On the one hand, the Dutriz Group from El Salvador was awarded an Excellence in Sports Journalism Award in recognition of their match-fixing coverage since 2011. On the other hand, journalist Peter Fote has been given a one-year ban from all football related activities by the Football Association of Malawi, after admitting his alleged guilt in providing technical (inside) information to an opposing team.



The Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) proved on Saturday that the match between Farashganj and Wari Club in the Bangladesh Championship League (BCL) on May 21 was fixed, as alleged. BFF's professional league committee will decide the punishment for the offence in their next meeting, scheduled to be held on August 24. Farashganj, who eventually finished second in the BCL, managed a 3-2 win over Wari in their second-leg match after Wari took a 2-0 lead in the first half. Farashganj then struck three goals in the last half hour, leading the others clubs to allege that the match was fixed by the clubs. The BFF then referred the matter to the match-fixing findings committee.
Source: "Fixing proved", 17 August 2014, The Daily Star,


Four soccer players from a Super League team colluded with others to affect the course of games so they could win thousands of euros from betting, according to a preliminary judicial investigation. According to the probe’s results, seen by Kathimerini, a 24-year-old player repeatedly contacted a 28-year-old man regarding betting issues ahead of a game between Olympiakos and Panionios. Wiretaps on the players’ phones suggest that the 24-year-old was to be paid 6,300 euros and the other three players lesser amounts. The 24-year-old was also found to be in contact with a 48-year-old gas station owner to whom he allegedly owned 30,000 euros. In a text message, the player appears to suggest he could help fix matches.
Source: "Four soccer players cheated to win bets, probe suggests", 14 August 2014, Ekathimerini


Football Kenya Federation has launched a match-fixing investigation into the team's elimination from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers by Lesotho. In a statement the FKF stated the outcome of both legs of the tie, which resulted in a 1-0 aggregate loss for Kenya, were "not ordinary". A seven-member team will report its findings within three weeks. In addition, FKF technical director Jacob 'Ghost' Mulee has been suspended indefinitely pending investigations. The behaviour of former Kenya boss Adel Amrouche, who was sacked along with the entire technical staff after the team's elimination from the qualifiers, has also been called into question by the federation.
Source: "Kenya launches match-fixing inquiry into Nations Cup loss", 14 August 2014, BBC,


The former Malaysia international footballer who jumped bail in 2012 after being charged with attempting to rig a game has been rearrested and was brought before a special sitting in court on Sunday (Aug 10). Deputy Public Prosecutor Shaun Lee urged the court to revoke Thana Segar S Sinnaiah’s bail, noting that the 40-year-old had fled despite posting a S$50,000 bail and having his passport being impounded. Thana Segar, who was an up-and-coming footballer in the 1990s, had been charged on May 24, 2012, with aiding a meet-up between part-time referee Shokri Nor and Selvarajan Letchuman to fix the result of a match. Thana Segar, who was unrepresented in court on Sunday, did not enter a plea. Prosecutors told the court that investigations for immigration offences are ongoing against him. District Judge Victor Yeo ordered no bail for Thana Segar, who will be remanded until his next court mention on Aug 29. If convicted, he faces a fine of up to S$100,000 or jail of up to five years, or both.
Source: "Malaysian who jumped bail brought before Singapore court on match-fixing charges", 11 August 2014, Channel News Asia,

To continue reading or watching login or register here

Already a member? Sign in

Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts.  Find out more here.

Related Articles

Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.