Sports law in 2021 – key issues to watch in Europe
Here are the top sports law issues to watch out for in 2021 in Europe from the LawInSport Editorial Board.
- Despina Mavromati - Eligibility and selection disputes before CAS, amendments to the Swiss Private International Law Act and International Federation’s reviewing their rules or statutes.
- Michael Savva - Bailout packages in football.
- Marc Peltier - Adoption of the new WADA regulations.
- Maciej Bałaziński – Reform of the Polish Football Federation’s judicial system.
- Sven Demeulemeester - Whether the Belgian Court of Cassation annuls the Brussels Court of Appeal’s decision and criminal investigations into corruption in football.
- Peter Rippell-Szabo - Continued impact of COVID-19.
- Jiří Janák - The growth of Esports, sport’s response to COVID-19.
- Emin Özkurt - Contractual disputes in sport.
- Jan Kleiner - The new WADA Code.
- Josep Vandellos - No more betting sponsors in Spanish sports.
- Marie-Anne Lindhardt - Match fixing, Covid-19, and digitalisation within sports
We hope this proves useful not only in identifying specific cases and issues, but also in detecting broader themes and when read in conjunction with the contributions from other jurisdictions.
We would like to thank each member of our Editorial Board for taking the time out of their busy schedules to share their views with us, and also more broadly for their significant input into LawInSport over the course of the year. Thank you.
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Athlete Welfare | Belgian Competition Authority | Belgium | Commercial | Coronavirus | Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) | Covid-19 | Czech Republic | Czech Sports Agency | Disciplinary | Dispute Resolution | Employment | FIFA | FIFA RSTP | Financial Fair Play | Football | France | Governance | Gymnastics Ethics Foundation (GEF) | Human Rights | Hungry | Match Fixing | Poland | Polish Football Association | Regulatory | Russian Anti-Doping Agency | Spain | Sweden | Swedish Gambling Act | Swiss Data Protection Act | Swiss Federal Tribunal | Switzerland | Turkey | Turkish Supreme Court | UEFA | WADA | WADA Code