Football finance: How are clubs in saudi arabia regulated?
Saudi Arabia’s victory over eventual champions Argentina at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 shocked the world – but that historic win may be just the beginning. With unprecedented levels of public investment powering a remarkable transformation in Saudi football both on and off the field, and the advancement of sport featuring as a key program in Saudi Arabia’s ‘Vision 2030’ national development plan, the financial performance of the Kingdom’s football clubs has come under fresh scrutiny from the national football governing authorities.
This article traces how Saudi clubs are regulated in terms of their financial activities, with particular reference to the thorny and widespread issue of overdue payables for employees as well as other clubs, along with the disputes arising from such overdue payments. It considers the historical context of Saudi clubs’ record in this regard, the structural challenges that exist and the regulatory remedies – both those currently available and in the pipeline – aimed at enhancing financial accountability, sustainability and the meeting of contractual obligations.
The article discusses:
- Saudi clubs in context: heavy-hitters on and off the field
- Saudi financial issues in the global market
- Financial Efficiency Regulations
- SAFF Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players
- Standard Player Contract for foreign players
- Saudi Pro League Club Licensing Regulations
- Future regulatory developments
- Useful contact details
To continue reading or watching login or register here
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Commercial Law | Corporate Law | Financial Regulation | Football | Regulation & Governance | Saudi Arabia | Sports
- A Guide To Financing Football Clubs: Part 2 – Equity Finance & Ownership Models
- Why Does Luxembourg Still Not Have A Professional Football League?
- What Are The Requirements For Owning And Running A Professional Football Club In Italy?
- The Requirements For Investing, Owning And Running A Professional Football Club In Spain (LaLiga)
- Key Strategies For Investors In Brazilian Football
- How Professional Football Clubs Are Incorporated & Governed In France
- How Professional Football Clubs Are Governed In Mexico