“Speak Up”! WADA’s recent reforms to its whistleblowing policies, procedures and systems
Published 15 March 2017 By: Andrew Smith
Public confidence in the integrity of sport continues to be severely tested, in light of high profile findings of systemic / institutionalised doping violations (see for example the MacLaren Independent Investigation Reports, Part I and Part II) and investigations into the adequacy of anti-doping systems and controls.
In previous articles on this topic, the author has discussed the importance of whistleblowing in sport and suggested practical reforms that could be implemented in order to encourage participants to come forward with relevant information that assists in the fight against doping. Two of those suggestions related to,
- the importance of formulating and publishing clear written whistleblowing procedures; and
- ensuring that proper mechanisms are put in place for prospective whistleblowers to report their concerns.
In the circumstances, it is encouraging to see that the World Anti-Doping Agency (“WADA”) has recently implemented two such reforms. Accordingly, this article examines:
- The new WADA whistleblower policy;
- The WADA “Speak Up!” digital whistleblowing platform; and
- Author’s comment – whistleblowing moving forward.
Get access to this article and all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport
Already a member?
Articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts
This work was written for and first published on LawInSport.com (unless otherwise stated) and the copyright is owned by LawInSport Ltd. Permission is granted to make digital or hard copies of this work (or part, or abstracts, of it) for personal use provided copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and provided that all copies bear this notice and full citation on the first page (which should include the URL, company name (LawInSport), article title, author name, date of the publication and date of use) of any copies made. Copyright for components of this work owned by parties other than LawInSport must be honoured.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Employment | Governance | Interpol | Regulation | WADA Speak Up! | WADA Whistleblowing Program Policy and Procedure for Reporting Misconduct | Whistleblowing | World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)