Andrew is a barrister practising from Matrix Chambers in London. He is an employment law specialist, and has a keen interest in sports law and sport generally. His Matrix profile (including Directory recommendations) may be viewed here.
In the field of sports law, Andrew has:
- Represented the football manager Iain Dowie in a claim for wrongful dismissal before the FA Premier League Managers Arbitration Tribunal (led by Nicholas Randall QC);
- Acted for Senegalese international and Newcastle United forward Papiss Cissé in connection with his objection (on religious grounds) to wearing the team sponsor's logo on his shirt (led by Nicholas Randall QC);
- Advised on various aspects of Third Party Ownership in football (led by Rhodri Thompson QC);
- Represented a Championship football club in a claim arising out of the termination of a coaching engagement;
- Been instructed on a dispute relating to membership of the Professional Speedway Elite League (led by Rhodri Thompson QC).
Andrew is one of the authors of Football and the Law (Bloomsbury Publishing); and was invited to speak at a 'Player Contracts Conference' where he presented a seminar on 'Calculating Compensation for Contract Breaches', pursuant to Article 17 of the FIFA Status Regulations (a review of which can be read here). Andrew's other sports law publications include an article in the Entertainment and Sports Law Journal entitled 'All Bets Are Off: Match Fixing in Sport - Some Recent Developments'.
Andrew is a regular contributor to LawInSport and has written articles on the Hendre Fourie rugby case, sexual orientation discrimination in sport and the Financial Fair Play Regulations (see Part 1 and Part 2 of the FFP article here).
- “Speak Up”! WADA’s recent reforms to its whistleblowing policies, procedures and systems
- Can football players unilaterally retire from international duty? The Joël Matip & Allan Nyom cases
- A review of the updates to FIFA’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players
- The funding and employment status of elite athletes – A comparison of the UK, USA and Germany
- How will Blatter and Platini challenge the decision of the FIFA Ethics Committee?
- A legal guide to training compensation in football under the FIFA Regulations
- A legal guide to solidarity payments in football under the FIFA Regulations
- A guide to training compensation and solidarity payments in football
- The Pechstein judgment: CAS’s reaction & potential ramifications
- Financial Fair Play and the Striani Complaint: Where are we now?
- Whistleblowing in Sport – Part 2: Investigations and Disciplinary Proceedings
- Whistleblowing in Sport – Part 1: Maintaining Public Confidence In The Integrity Of Sport
- Fair or foul? Competition law and the financial regulation of football - Part 2
- Fair or foul? Competition law and the financial regulation of football - Part 1
- Sexual orientation discrimination in sport
- IRB eligibility criteria & immigration rules for sportspersons