Views on the football market from a top agent: An interview with Erkut Sögüt – agent for Mesut Ozil
Recently, football lawyer Daniel Geey and football agent Erkut Sögüt attended Mumbai to help teach The Football Business Certificate, educating current and future leaders about best practices of the global football industry. While there, Daniel and Erkut kindly agreed to answer some questions for me on topical issues in football. In this interview, I asked Erkut for his opinions on the following questions:
What exactly is the role of a football agent?
What is your view on regulation of intermediaries in football?
What regulations would you want to see come into effect?
What role does social media play in your job?
What are some of the most memorable deals that you have been part of?
What do you feel needs to change to help improve the situation and make sure that such scapegoating (re Mesut Ozil case) never happens again?
How do you deal with player safety off the pitch in light of the Sead Kolasinac attempted car robbery incident?
What impact will Brexit have for you?
Click here to see my related interview with leading football lawyer, Daniel Geey.
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Agents | Athlete Welfare | Career Development | Contract | Employment | FIFA | Football | Germany | Premier League | Regulations | Sports Law | The FA | Turkey | UK
- Podcast Episode 2 -Law Accord interview with Kevin Carpenter
- Podcast Episode 3 - Legal and commercial issues facing NGBs - Angus Bujalski RFU
- Podcast episode 4 - football, Malaga CAS appeal, legalisation of MMA, MLB doping scandal, golfer banned, UKAD and NHS Protect MoU
- Sport law education & careers podcast with Andy Gray DMU & BASL - Episode 14
About the Author
Naik Naik & Co., Mumbai
Manangraduated from Pravin Gandhi College of Law, Mumbai and currently works at Naik Naik & Co., Mumbai in the Media and Entertainment Non Litigation team.
He holds a keen interest in sports law and has been selected as a Mentee in the inaugral LawInSport Mentorship Scheme, being mentored by the CEO of LawInSport, Sean Cottrell.