Paul is the Principal of SportsLawyer, Melbourne. He has practised law for over 18 years, in criminal law, commercial law and sports law. In 2008, Paul completed his Masters of Laws degree (LLM), with an emphasis on sports law.
Paul has written papers on a range of sporting issues including: collective agreements, restraint of trade, disciplinary tribunal systems (Runner up, Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (“ANZSLA”) Paul Trisley award, 2005) and the WADA Code and doping in sport (paper published in the Monash University Law Review in February, 2007), and best governance practice for sports and sporting leagues in the ANZSLA Journal, January, 2009 (winner, 2007 ANZSLA Paul Trisley Award).
Paul is solicitor for the Richmond Football Club on AFL Tribunal matters. He is also a Director of Harness Racing Victoria. He was Solicitor to Athletes and Officials at the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games. He was Solicitor to Athletes and Officials at the 2007 World Swimming Championships (Melbourne). He has consulted to the AFL Players’ Association. For four years he has sat as a tribunal member at the Western Region Football League (WRFL) (Australian Rules Football), and is now legal advisor to the WRFL. Paul has been a member of the Football Federation Victoria Tribunal for three years and is now a member of its Appeals Board. Paul has advised a diverse range of sporting organisations from Athletics Australia, to Melbourne Storm (NRL) and netball club franchises.
- Chair, Law Institute of Victoria Sports Law Committee;
- Committee member, Law Institute of Victoria Employment Law Committee, Workplace Relations (2002-2008);
- Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA) member;
- Conference Organising Committee for the 2008 Melbourne ANZSLA conference (Victorian Government enlisted as major sponsor by Paul);
- Football Federation of Victoria, Tribunal & Appeals Board Member.