The NCAA's New NIL Guidance: What Do You Need to Know
On October 26, 2022, the NCAA voted to modify its name, image and likeness ("NIL") policy to further clarify what member universities and their representatives can undertake when it comes to engaging NIL sponsoring entities and fostering NIL opportunities for college athletes and issued guidance to that effect.
The new clarifications outline what the NCAA considers permissible and impermissible NIL activities.1
This article discusses the recent NIL guidance issued by the NCAA and the potential impact that it could have on the college athletes and on the entire NIL landscape.
It looks at:
To continue reading or watching login or register here
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: American Football | Baseball | Basketball | Betting | Commercial Law | Endorsement | Gambling Law | Intellectual Property Rights | Name Image & Likeness (NIL) | NCAA | Regulation & Governance | Sponsorship | Sports | United States of America (USA)
- Name, image & likeness rights in the NCAA: the evolving legal landscape for college athletes
- Name Image & Likeness - How Laws Are Evolving For NCAA Athletes’ Compensation
- Name Image & Likeness: Why U.S High School Athletes May Sue Over Rights Restrictions
- Navigating Name, Image & Likeness - Tips For College Athletes, Brands & Universities
- Key Sports Law Cases & Developments 2022 - North America
- Sports Law in 2023 – Key Issues to Watch in North America
Baird Fogel is a partner at Eversheds Sutherland. He is an experienced transactional lawyer who advises clients on a variety of corporate matters and complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, commercial law and settlements, compliance, corporate governance as well as international project finance, project development, and project construction. He has particular experience with both domestic and international clients in the sports industry.
Kristi K. Thielen
Kristi K. Thielen is an associate in Eversheds Sutherland's Corporate Practice Group and advises domestic and international clients on corporate business transactions, including venture financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate governance matters. She has particular experience with clients in the sports industry, including professional leagues (the NFL and NBA included) as well as sports betting and fantasy sport operators.