Sports Lawyer In The Spotlight: James Kitching
Welcome to the first edition of LawInSport’s new series ‘Sports Lawyer in the Spotlight’, where we go behind the scenes with the leading sports lawyers around the world to get to know a little more about them and to highlight their contribution to the sports industry.
Our first interviewee is Mr. James Kitching. James is currently an independent consultant advising the global sports industry on regulation, governance, integrity, and strategy matters. He recently left the role of Director of Football Regulatory at FIFA to return home to Australia and is a valued member of the LawInSport Editorial Board. At FIFA, James managed a multinational and multidisciplinary subdivision with 5 departments and approximately 60 staff, which oversees all aspects of the FIFA football regulatory framework. James is directly responsible for the implementation of 2 key projects aligned with the FIFA Vision 2020-23: the FIFA Clearing House and the new regime for regulating football agents.
Prior to joining FIFA, James was the founder and managing director of a multinational consultancy specialising in sports regulation and governance. He also spent 5 years at the Asian Football Confederation, where he helped modernise the sports and corporate regulatory framework, along with managing the bidding processes for Asian competitions and acting as secretariat to the AFC judicial bodies.
We sat down with James in January 2021 just prior to his departure from FIFA to conduct the following interview. It has since been edited slightly (with James’ permission) to take into account the fact that he is no longer employed by the world governing body for football.
Manan Agrawal, Editor
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Australia | Blockchain | Career Advice | Careers | Cricket | FIFA | Football | Management | NFT | Regulation & Governance | Sports | Switzerland
- Views on the football market from a top agent: An interview with Erkut Sögüt – agent for Mesut Ozil
- How do football lawyers differ to football agents? An interview with Daniel Geey
- Cultivating Culture Through Commoditisation: Why NFTs Present An Unparalleled Opportunity For The Sports Sector
- Bitcoin Payments In Sport - The Opportunities And Risks For Clubs And Players
- Key Sports Law Cases & Developments Of 2021 – Europe
- Sports Law in 2022 – Key issues to watch in Europe
- Investing To Win - Why Foreign Athletes Are Eyeing Indian Startups