The Rise Of Crypto Sponsors In Sport - How Football Is Hedging Its Bets
The UK Government, following their recent “comprehensive review” of gambling lawsis considering regulating the use of betting companies in English football, which may include a ban on being the main front-of-shirt sponsors.
This could have a profound impact. Last season, nine of the twenty Premier League clubs had gambling companies as their front-of-shirt sponsor, as well as another six teams in the Championship.
Teams are however already looking elsewhere for sponsors, and these are increasingly coming from the Cryptocurrency sector – A sector which comes with its own set of challenges and concerns.
Continue reading this article...
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Cultivating Culture Through Commoditisation: Why NFTs Present An Unparalleled Opportunity For The Sports Sector
- Fan Tokens And The Sport Industry: Key Legal And Commercial Risks
- Bitcoin Payments In Sport - The Opportunities And Risks For Clubs And Players
- A Guide For Sports Organisations To Partnering With A Cryptocurrency Provider
- Advertising “cryptoassests” the right way - lessons from the Arsenal ASA ruling
Felix Vetter is a Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group LLC. He is a forensic accountant with over 12 years of experience, specializing in leading complex, high-profile, multi-jurisdictional investigations into areas including fraud, financial statement manipulation, bribery, and corruption. He has experience working on forensic engagements in Europe, Russia, Africa, Middle East, and Asia Pacific where he has led investigations and compliance reviews across a broad range of industrial sectors.