A Summary Of 2021’s Key Sports Law Cases From The CAS & SFT
This delayed Olympic year led to a high number of cases that were decided by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Ad Hoc Division in Tokyo. However, there was also several significant ethics and doping related proceedings before the CAS, and a number of noteworthy Swiss Federal Tribunal (SFT) judgments. Several cases also raised procedural and/or substantive arguments linked to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This article summarises the key cases from CAS and the SFT and goes onto to look ahead to what can be expected in to 2022:
To continue reading or watching login or register here
Already a member? Sign in
Get access to all of the expert analysis and commentary at LawInSport including articles, webinars, conference videos and podcast transcripts. Find out more here.
- Tags: Anti-Doping | Athlete Rights | Athletics | Blake Leeper | Dispute Resolution | Eligibility Regulation | Football | Human Rights | Integrity | Olympics | Paralympics | Regulation & Governance | Sports | Sun Yang | Swimming
- A detailed analysis of the legal arguments in WADA v Sun Yang & FINA - a very public hearing
- Inappropriate Tweets & The 'Duty Of Curiosity': Why The Swiss Federal Tribunal Ordered The Sun Yang Case Be Reheard
- The Final Yards Of Caster Semenya's Human Rights Appeal: Background & Broader Implications
- Sun Yang Eligible For 2024 Paris Olympics: WADA v Sun Yang & FINA - 2nd CAS Award
- Why Blake Leeper is not running at the Tokyo Olympic Games – the 2nd CAS Award
Dr. Despina Mavromati is an attorney at the Swiss law firm BianchiSchwald and an arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). She has extensive experience in international sports law and arbitration. She represents athletes, clubs and federations and advises on regulatory and sports governance matters, including the recognition and enforcement of awards and freezing of assets in Switzerland. Despina has acted as counsel, co-counsel, expert or arbitrator in numerous sports arbitrations, involving contractual, governance, doping-related and other disciplinary and ethics matters. Recognized as a Thought Leader by Who’s Who Legal in Switzerland every year since 2018, “Despina Mavromati is “brilliant and accomplished” and “an amazing lawyer with immense knowledge and expertise when it comes to disputes before the CAS” (Who’s Who Legal 2023).