Matrix has been involved in many sports related cases since it was established 14 years ago. These cases derive from the core expertise that the set offers in a broad range of areas. Our members have provided advocacy, advice and investigatory expertise in a number of high-profile and complex sport cases. We offer expertise in all areas of sports related disputes including commercial law, competition and regulatory law, employment law, public law, criminal law, immigration law, media law and EU law. Our members work in a number of sports related dispute resolution forums, including disciplinary tribunals and arbitrations. Professor Philippe Sands QC sits as an arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland. Nicholas Randall QC is a member of the Premier League arbitration panel and is also a member of the Sports Resolutions UK arbitration panel. He also sits regularly as an arbitrator in FA Rule K Arbitrations.
Our client list includes sports bodies (UEFA; the Premier League; the Football League; the ECB), Premier League clubs (Manchester City; Newcastle United; West Ham United; QPR; Aston Villa; Hull City; Crystal Palace), managers (Sir Alex Ferguson; Sir Bobby Robson; Kevin Keegan; Roy Keane; George Graham; David O’Leary), representative bodies (PFA, LMA) players (David Beckham; Ronaldo; Wayne Rooney; Rio Ferdinand; John Terry; Ryan Giggs; Sol Campbell; David Platt), athletes (Katarina Johnson Thompson), broadcasters (BT; BBC), administrators (Clive Woodward, Tim Wright), promotors (Barry McGuigan); agents and others.
All sports are covered with a strong emphasis on Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, Rugby League and Athletics.
We have provided advocacy, advisory and investigatory services on a wide variety of issues including FFP, transfer restrictions, contract issues, image rights, state aid, third party ownership, broadcasting rights, competition disputes, playing name changes, agents disputes, policing, privacy, defamation, phone hacking and restraint of trade.
Many of the cases we have been involved in are private. However historical cases which have involved our Members and which are in the public domain include:
- The Bosman ruling.
- The dispute relating to West Ham in the FA Premier League arbitration proceedings and the joint FA/FAPL inquiry in the Carlos Tevez affair.
- Leading privacy cases that have included John Terry, Carlos Tevez and Ryan Giggs.
- Defamation/Libel case involving Rio Ferdinand.
- Phone Hacking.
- Acting for numerous Managers and Clubs involving managerial dismissals including: Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson, Roy Keane, David O’Leary, Newcastle United, Aston Villa; and Cardiff City.
- Advised Manchester City Football Club in its dispute with Carlos Tevez.
- Advising Sports regulatory bodies, including advice on the compatibility of drugs testing procedures with human rights law.
- Acting for the ECB regarding its dispute with Kevin Pietersen.
- Advising on image rights for Wayne Rooney
- Advising on the sponsorship contracts of Katarina Johnson Thompson.
- Street: Griffin Building, Grays Inn
- Postcode: WC1R 5LN
- City: London
- Country: Switzerland, United Kingdom
- Tel: +44 (0)20 7404 3447